Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gary willis

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I really love his playing, what are the best recordings to buy, both in a group and solo? Thanks

ps- thought this would go into bassists, because it was more specific than general recordings

2. Get iTunes and search for him (or Tribal Tech). You'll find plenty of good stuff on there.

He's one of my most favorite bass players. Few do I find more appealing. :)

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I like "Bent" the most of the stuff I have heard so far. What a killer disc.

4. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    TRIBAL TECH

5. Any Tribal Tech (the newer the better) especially Rocket Science.

6. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    His two solo albums are both great: 'No Sweat' and 'Bent' (I know they can be hard to find from time to time but I think you can download them from his website). And yea, Tribal Tech, 'Rocket Science' and 'Thick' are great, and so is 'Face First' even though it took me a while to get used to the 80's sounding keys. He also guests on an album called 'Uncle Moe's Space Ranch', also worth checking out if you can stand so much guitar!

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I would rate Bent slightly ahead of No Sweat...

Tribal Tech-
    I actually prefer Dr. Hee (their 2nd album) over the later stuff...at this time, TT had electric instruments(guitar-bass-keys) & acoustic instruments(drums-percussion/mallets-sax). This is how they came up with their band name: "Tribal" & "Tech".

Rocket Science is very good...Covington's drumming seemed light years ahead compared to his earlier efforts with the band.
    They're long overdue for a new one.

Willis also plays on a couple tracks on Alan Holdsworth's Metal Fatigue...a statement of '80s Fusion.

8. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Love Willis! And Covington too!

Don't have his solo discs yet, but out of all my Tribal Tech discs I think Primal Tracks and Reality Check are my favs. Don't have Face First or Rocket Science yet tho. Although his introductory solo on Slick off of Thick is incredible.

Willis is THE MAN!

9. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    My Tribal Tech faves has to be Illicit and Reality check. Incredible groove and sick solos. To me, his solo on Root food from Illicit is one of the greatest recorded bass solos of all time.

Bent is good as well. Not quite as well rounded as the TT records IMO. The track Bowlegged is worth the price of the disc by itself. Willis and drummer Dennis Chambers give this weird 6/4 song a delicious New Orleans groove that'll send you flying.

But don't forget to check out an amazing trio album with japanese organist Kiyomi Otaka called Out of sight. Willis tears it up and is capably backed by unlikely partner Dave Weckl on drums. This CD has some really great moments and especially the opener "#26" is awesome. Check it out.

10. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Not only is Gary a kick-ass bassist but his composing and writing chops are equal to his playing ones! It's ot very often you find tha tin the same person.

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Another nod for 'Bent' here! I've been a fan for a long time, almost every recording with Willis, has some sick playing on it. IMHO, He is one of the deep thinkers of electric bass like Anthony Jackson, Matthew Garrison etc.

12. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    Tribal Tech - Reality Check

Great album.

13. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002

Sick album. Weckl and Willis kill it.

14. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Thanks for the info, 'Cat! I was wondering what Willis was up to...it's been dead around his site for a long time. And shock!!! Willis without his cap!!!

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Ooh, ooh new Willis......cool! Thanks for the heads up!

16. Willis is a major bass hero / influence for me on fretless - I was lucky to see him actually play a gig in London last November at the Vortex and it surely rocked - he's f-ing unbeleivable live - the most intense jazz bassist I've heard on electric. the gig was with this guy's band:

http://www.sebastiaancornelissen.com/

There are videos on the website - plus he's made a couple of albums with Cornelissen as well - GW lives in Spain now so we'll hopefully get to hear and see some more of him over here, plus he's a dude...

Cheers

Mike

17. Thanks for the links. I will be checking those videos out later.