1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAS Relieved; Want to Mod(G&L content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by warwick.hoy, Feb 23, 2008.

1. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I've been playing my Thumb 5 for so long that I've been wanting to get a 4 stringer for a while now.

I didn't know if would even come home with anything today but figured maybe I could find a good deal on a used 4 banger at a pawn shop; maybe even an overseas model in need of repair which I am happy to attempt (good learning experience). I figured I most likely get an MIM Jazz or Jazz style bass, maybe even and MIA from some yokel that didn't realize what he had.

I went to a few local pawn shops where I saw a Schecter 4 triple XXX that wasn't my style, and was in serious need of intonation attention.

At a local guitar shop I feel in love with an early 90's Gibson era Tobias 4 banger with a single Bart and two toggles on it. It was I thought a good deal at $750. I considered putting it on layaway but I was itching to bring one home today. I'm a little impatient. I told the salesman; who was ready to wheel and deal down to $679,that I had to sleep on it. It was out of my budget for sure. I may still put it on layaway.

Finally I made it up to a pawn shop that does sell some brand new items as well. There I found a brand new Lakland Skyline JO Tobacco Burst which I also considered putting on layaway. This bass was out of my budget as well at 9 bills. Turns out that pawn shop is one of the only Lakland dealers in town so that was a pleasent surprise.

Alas here is what I settled on.

HPIM1466.

Spanky New G&L Tribute JB-2 (In fact I think I'll name it spanky. I've never even given the Thumb 5 a name). Picked it up for $329 + tax. Came with a nice gig bag, tools and 2 year warranty which is something I didn't expect from a Pawn Shop. For sure The Thumb is a beast compared to the G&L, but for what I paid for it and what it is I think it was a great purchase.

I've only had it for a few hours, but my first impression is "what a great import". :bassist: It has a 6 bolt neck. The action is pretty good straight out of the box. The frets are nicely dressed. The neck is comfy and seems to have a more Precision Bass string spacing which is fine by me. String spacing has never been a huge issue for me. I can get comfortable with anything. I love the heft of the bridge. It's nice that I won't have to replace it which would have been a likely mod on an MIM/Squier Jazz. The PUPs are a bit buzzy if I roll either of the volumes off; but I was aware of that being an issue. The pots also seem a little loose in the control cavity, but that is about what I expect from an import as well. Is there a remedy for that?

With what seems like new D'Addarios and through a small wattage practice amp it sounds like a Jazz Bass. Bright and Punchy. Sorry I wish I could record you some sound clips. Once my preamp issue is worked out I can't wait to hear it through my stage rig.

Mods on the Way

As soon as I got it in the car I started thinking about what mods I was going to do to it. In the interest in keeping the boards clutter free I'll keep electronic mods to the PUPs and Electronics board suffice it to say that an onboard preamp and active pups are on the list. This will be my first modification affair so any advice or recommendations is greatly appreciated. I briefly checked the G&L forums and didn't see to much in mods.

Here is what I had in mind:

~Shielding first and foremost. Gotta get rid of that buzz. PUP cavities, and control cavities. I've heard of guys setting the PUPs in wax whats up with that?

~New Tuners. The guy at the pawn shop said that that could void the warranty. I'm not sure I care too much about a warranty though. Will Fender Deluxe tuners fit up on this bass? I was also thinking about Sperzel locking tuners. Thoughts?

~Clear coating the Headstock. Not something I'm too familiar with. Should I leave that up to a professional?

Sorry for such a long post and I certainly appreciate it if you've made it this far. If need be I can clean it up and type up a new thread concerning these mods

2. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I'm not sure about the JB-2, but most Tributes have the same US made pickups as the US models. G&L fans would NEVER replace the pickups. G&L pickups are what makes G&L's unique. You should hang in the GnL forum and ask for other opinions, as my GnL basses are all older and I know very little about Tributes. But it does seem like a great deal-Congratulations!

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    I'll be sure to do this. Thanks.

Should I have this thread moved to the G&L forum?

4. I second this, although you could definitely consider a preamp mod. I have a tribute L2000, and although I had thought about changing the pickups on it, they are really what G&ls are about, so I'll leave 'em there.
    Also, bear in mind that your Warwick is also, technically, an 'import'. ;) Have fun with spanky!

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Haha :D

I wouldn't say technically. The Warwick most definitely is an import.