1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GAVOTTE - Have I got it right?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by MGill, Apr 4, 2006.

1. MGill

MGill

Dec 31, 2005
    London
    I resently brough the book "5 Simple pieces for Double Bass" By Ida Carroll, Im working on the GAVOTTE, its a realy simple piece, but im not sure if ive got the rythm right, is there any way to check this? Thanks

2. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    It always help me to break it down to the smallest note value and count out the rhythm using that, singing out the note values while pulsing each of those smallest values.

3. MGill

MGill

Dec 31, 2005
    London
    Rite, ok ill give that a go, thanks very much.

4. If all else fails (no teacher ect...) get a good violinist to tell you the rythem. This may sound childish but it works when you need it.

5. MGill

MGill

Dec 31, 2005
    London
    Oh i have a teacher, hes the principla double bass player at the royal opera house in covent garden, its just hes set me with this peice and im not sure weather ive got the rythm right, and dont want to go along next lesson and embassis myself!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That's how you learn!! ;)

7. MGill

MGill

Dec 31, 2005
    London
    Is it, but still its going to look liek ive not practised it at all, is'nt it!

8. The only way to embarass yourself at a LESSON is to show up obviously unrehearsed. If you are paying for lessons and practicing between, then making mistakes at the lesson are what the teacher needs you to do. That way they know what areas to focus on when instructing you.

In the mean time, I played GAVOTTE a ton of years ago and it goes like this...

dump, deedle dump, deedle dee doo dump dooo, dump deedle dee, doo deedeedeedeedeedeedeedee..... :D

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I would never have guessed you had a young baby....:D

10. Are you saying my sense of humor is infantile? :p

11. appler

appler Guest

First a new baby, now you're a violinist? Come on, now. :D