Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GBE 600 concerns...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErnieD, May 30, 2005.

1. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Just noticed Sat nite that there are 3 little red lites with the letters O/L located below the 3 control knobs located at the far leftside of this amp, they are the FET - TUBE control knobs. I used Avatar B2x12 with my SWR SOB 1x15 as my setup for the first time this weekend. I can usually set all knobs at 12 o'clock and I'm good to go but because we were in a larger venue, I cranked some EQ knobs at about 1 o'clock. Had the FET, far left knob and far right volume knob set at 2 o'clock, not extreme I believe. When I looked back at my rig I noticed the 2 little O/L red lites coming off n on like a limiter lite might as I played. And it seemed the red lite next to "protect" was slightly lit up as well. The green signal lite was lighting up as usual but I did not notice the actual red limiter lite coming on at all. So are these O/L lites flickering to indicate good or bad news to the player. I mostly use only one cab and maybe had not noticed the O/L lites before cause they are located below the knobs and I would be looking down at my rig. Anybody own this amp can let me know if these lites, the O/L and protect lites coming on intermittantly are of a concern for me. Don't have a manual to refer to.

2. Check out the Genz Benz website; you can download a manual and a quick reference guide for the GBE 600 there.

http://www.genzbenz.com/

Peace!

3. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Thanks Mentalbass for that info. Manual is very thorough but I did just email Genz-Benz tech support cause still not real clear and when those O/L LED's should be lighting up like they are doing while I am playing.

4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    as long as you like the tone it isn't anything to worry about.
    The o/l simply means you are clipping on your input.

Are you playing an active bass and is the active button on the input engaged if you are?

A couple of things:
    * If your bass is active, boosting the tone knobs on the bass all the way can lead to the o/l coming on.
    * Where did you have the master volume? Try putting the inputs no higher than 12:00 and then get your volume increases from the master.

I hope this helps.
    Roger

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    How's that for service? ;)

6. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I was hoping you would see this and chime in. Yes the bass that nite was my 55-01,active, and I did have the tone knobs opened up pretty well too. The amps master was set at about 1-2 o'clock, as was the pre. So the O/L LED's meant I was sending a pretty hot signal to the pre? I thought my tone got a little muddy at times that nite. I backed off diggin in with my right hand, cause I could also hear clicking thru the speakers where I was hitting the pups. I'll try what you suggested here next time out. And the Protect-LED looked like it was slightly on, is this possible? I don't know if this amp recognizes certain degrees of needed protection that would make the LED light up (glow if you will ) from low to a full burn. Was this also due to me clipping the pre? The amp, in a rack case, did tip over a few days ago in the back of my car. Maybe I should open her up and see if the tube is sitting tight? Any other things to look for? Thanks again.

7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    the amp is very, very stable at 2 ohms even when running hard so don't work about the protect light.

I have four basses with active EQ's. A 1985 Ken Smith I bought new back in the day. Even though active, the pre isn't nearly as powerful as modern pre's so I never have a clipping problem even when cranking everything.

My other three bases are a Lull w/ Aggie pre, USA Lakland and Zon Sonus...both with Bart pres. The Lakland and the Zon seem to be pretty darn powerful. Enough so that I have to be careful not to "over-eq" which leads to not just clipping but I lose a lot of clarity as you commented in your post above....it can get muddy.

The Lull doesn't seem to be as bad.