Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gear question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lecollectif, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi everyone.

I was wondering if any of you could direct me to an idiot's guide to wattage/ohms/etc/etc.

I've read the FAQ on this site, and quite frankly, I find it a little too technical for my mental capacity.

I'm talking serious beginner stuff.

I'm currently looking around to invest in some equipment. But I don't feel like denting my bank account until I really understand what I'm buying.

Thanks so much.

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    What questions do you have in particular?

3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  4. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Hey thanks for that link. It's a great start.

The guy that owns the studio that my band rehearses in was trying to explain how ohms and wattage work. (The reason being that we were trying to figure out why his two 10's sounded like ass).

But as I mentioned above, I'm going to invest in my own stuff soon. A friend of mine is trying to get me to buy an old Traynor cab (I think it's a YT-2x15 or something.) Now, while I want to buy the matching head, coming across a traynor bassmaster isn't exactly a common occurance, so I might have to get something else. I'd like to know what I CAN get, and I can only do that by understanding this stuff... and honestly, it's like learning a new language.

It might also help a lot if someone was familiar with the cab I wanna get and just tell me what I can get, but I wouldn't really learn anything then, would I? :meh: