Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

geddy jazz string height?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hizzoner, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Hizzoner

Hizzoner Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    I am quite happy with my new GL and it was set up well out of the box....but was suprised when I changed from the stock Fender strings to D'Addario Pro Steels that the string height on the neck near the body seems slightly higher than before ... I have not adjusted the truss rod or shimmed it based on previous post concerns with the neck...I assume it is a neck issue

I may try to replace the original strings and see if there is a difference, but doubt that is the problem...What could be wrong...ideas????????????????????????

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Lower the saddles.

3. Yep saddles...DO NOT adjust truss rod!

4. Hizzoner

Hizzoner Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    I looked at the newbie/sticky info but saw nothing on setting relief...how can I do that? Thanks.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Wow, thanks for that post, I wasn't too sure on how to do it (and I did mess with the saddle heights a little recklessly on my basses)

6. While your at it you should check your intonation too...do you know how to do that?

7. jayzarecki

jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    hmm, wierd
    my aria developed a problem liek this cause i was using two kinds of strings Boomers and D'Adarios.... intonation ois out...but my bolt on neck bass doesn thave that problem....as for string height i woudl keep adjusting teh height untill you get somehting thast comfortable for you

8. jayzarecki

jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    very true, i guess i got lucky. I guess i was saying that i ran into the same problem on my 4-string. But as far as adjusting, ive found as long as you adjust each string at the bridge so you get no hum at zero and 12 and 24 frets youre all good on that string, and tahn move to the next. it might help that im always using the same gage strings...