1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee J = Impressive!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Apr 21, 2010.

1. I played the Geddy Lee J-bass at GC yesterday when I was there for some more - er, stuff.

Now this is going to sound dumb - but I had no idea that Geddy Lee was a real person. I thought it might be a commemorative of a Civil War battle or something..............

Fast forward to today - I saw a Rush concert on TV. I now know that Geddy Lee is a person and has a bass guitar named after him.

OK - that's nice and I actually felt the bass was OK for a Fender when I played it - of course, through the same B-450 Acoustic I have so I could make a decent comparison. Actually the Geddy Lee-J was very nice!

But that's not why I am posting this.

I saw some "Henhouses" in the back of him in that Rush concert and I want to know what they are. Are those his speaker cabs? I didn't notice any cabs behind him at all - or is he just feeding the mixer or DI and going PA from there?

I think he (Geddy Lee) needs a haircut though.

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    At first I was like picture 1. Then like picture 2.

3. JumboJack

JumboJack

Dec 31, 2007
    Lakewood,CA.
    siskofacepalm.

4. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    'zacly.

To get the animation you just post a .gif?

5. musicbikeman

musicbikeman

Aug 10, 2009
    Michigan
    Whats with the Star Trek stuff?

6. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Lots and lots of facepalms.

7. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Hey, it's prob a PA...I mean, I would think so. Rush plays for massive crowds.

8. cameronkeel

cameronkeel

Nov 15, 2006
    Actually, Geddy has NO amp or cabs behind him on stage. He basically goes direct, I think through a pre-amp. I have seen them numerous times. He has had washing machines, dryers, food vending machines behind him. I think he just has amp envy since Alex still has his full stacks on his side of the stage.

9. the "henhouse" is fake man, its just there to take up space, he also used washers for a while. he doesnt have on stage cabs or anything now and he thought the stage looked too empty without them, so he added those :)

10. beat me to it! :crying:

11. Thanks for a sane answer.

I don't know Rush from anything - I'm returning after a long time not in the groove and I haven't had much opportunity to get to know these things. My last guitar hero - besides the obvious ones (like SRV and Hendrix), was Tony Iomi, but we all know he plays a non-bass so we can't mention his name.

I saw a wall of amps/stacks behind the guitarist (not Geddy Lee) -- four 412 double stacks! Just wondering if the bass had as much or more since I didn't see any cabs anywhere for him.

The Geddy Lee-J was a lot nicer than I thought it would be - just to get this back to a bass guitar thread qualifier.

12. Today there was a used Geddy at GC but the tag said Jerry Lee. I lol'd.

13. See? There are SO other people who are not informed too!

14. wow

What were the 80's like without Rush? Even as a kid, I remember Rush had decent rotation on MTV and most rock radio stations.

15. Well, it DID appear to have a J-Retro Preamp installed, so maybe it's a new Fender signature model? :D

16. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Helen Keller even knew who Rush was.

Congrats, welcome to the world of Rush!

17. jij04002

jij04002

Nov 12, 2009
    Newport Beach
    You obviously do not watch the great game of Hockey...

EDIT: GO BRUINS!!!

18. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I do think it's really awesome, the whole henhouse/washer thing, but really, what's the point of doing away with your amp if someone still has to lug around a washing machine?!? Does he really just love the tone of his DI that much?

19. cap'n crunk

cap'n crunk

Apr 6, 2010
    California
    You know how people are always saying, rather smugly, "the tone's not in your gear, man, it's in your fingers!" on these boards? Well, he's Geddy Lee. He could get up on stage with a broom strapped over his shoulder, bust into "Tom Sawyer," and your face would totally melt. He don't need no stinkin' amps.

Also, secret Rush trivia: Peart and Lifeson actually aren't playing the drums or guitar. They're just stage props too. ALL the sound is gushing from the pores of Toronto's very own rock n' roll Jesus.

20. They are pretty sweet. I'd have one, but I'd have to replace the J neck with a P neck as it is too thin for my liking.

The bassplayer from The Killers plays one on their Live at Royal Albert Hall DVD. Sounds badass!!