1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee Sansamp Pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KJackman, Jan 12, 2019.

1. RickenCliff

RickenCliff

Aug 6, 2012
    St. Louis
    Prymaxe update! Just got the notice that mine is on the way as well!
    Can't wait to melt faces with this puppy!!

2. lesclaypoolsob

lesclaypoolsob Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Kentucky
    Me too!

3. DenisLM

DenisLM

Mar 12, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Got the Prymaxe notification too!
    Finally! hopefully will arrive saturday... but more likely Monday or Tuesday.
    Couple days to find a good tone, and replace one of my pedals on the rack... may be able to get it going before the gig on next Saturday!

Agosix, WallaceSnr and Spidey2112 like this.
  4. +1

5sg.

WallaceSnr likes this.
  5. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    +1

Damn, bunch of us just waiting on prymaxe alone. Tech21 must be stoked at demand for this

6. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    This is my first Tech21 pedal - and it is definitely something special. Tech21 will hopefully sell boatloads and get a bunch of new players!

Fuzzbass likes this.
  7. PMagers

PMagers Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Philly, Philadelphia
    So how's the deluxe version coming along? Love me some presets...

8. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Its probably just the high mid peak of the speaker sim. Try running it before your compressor. I do this with my pddi v2 when going direct to the board and it really turns it into a different animal. I do this qith most sansamp products for this very reason.

9. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    Preach!

PMagers likes this.
  10. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    One more here. I’m looking forward to hearing how it sounds as a preamp, as much as I love the sound of my Le Bass I’d really like to replace it with a more convenient pedal with a bit more midrange response.

11. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I was looking to buy one of these but I think that I will wait until they bring the Deluxe version out.

12. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I'm very tempted now that they're in the wild, but still want my flyrig version with the tuner and comp and switchable drive channel. =0)

sonofshel and lesclaypoolsob like this.
  13. lesclaypoolsob

lesclaypoolsob Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Kentucky
    Is that for sure coming? I would also like this version

14. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    OH! No, sorry to get your hopes up - I kinda designed one and lovingly presented it to T21 but they said it wasn't in the cards (at least not as of winter NAMM).

lesclaypoolsob likes this.
  15. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    welllll somebody mentioned amazon having them, and I recently got a big amazon gift card... so I apparently just ordered the last one (says it's coming from GearTree). Hopeful that I get it and I love it - sounds awesome in videos so far.

16. Polka1

Polka1

Jul 25, 2018
    I've had more time to go through mine. It's pretty fantastic and is an always on at this point.

I am running mine into a Bassman 100t, nothing else active in the signal. I was looking for a bit more snarl and upper mid presence with either my J-bass or P. The Bassman can do snarl, but the build in drive is a bit muddy, chesty, and compresses a bit quickly. Cranking the amp itself too hard smushes the dynamics further and farts out the bottom end a bit much for my taste.

The YYZ fills the need really well. Grind and presence for days. It will compress quite quickly when either the drive or blend is too far cranked - but this is easily solved by backing it down. Super flexible, almost too much so. Small changes - especially on the blend, mids, and drive - all make huge differences. Also, the tight button can drop a ton of low end on certain settings, so be sure to play with it. If need be, correct for the loss using the blend and bass controls.

Complaints -

They seem to suggest you can run this straight into the power section. On the 100t it doesn't have nearly enough signal to do so. It works, but only with enough output to play at much lower volumes, even with the YYZ master cranked.

Also, I wish that there was a way to mess with the lower mid thump of it a bit. It's not exactly scooped, but it certainly goes away from putting some lower mid hair back into the J-bass signal. I find I am using the 100t's sweepable mids to add a bit back. This is fine, the two tone circuits are just different enough that they almost compliment each other - but it would be cool to have the option to adjust without the amp.

Overall the setup whole setup is really flexible, especially with drive tones. Depending how you look at it I have about 4 different drive tones available. YYZ - snappy with snarl. 100t drive - a bit chesty, round and fuzzed. 100t power section cranked - super fat, blossoming tube goodness. 100t vintage channel cranked - similar but a bit rougher around the edges. So far I've been mostly using the YYZ for the majority of any dirt with the 100t power section cranked to fatten it up more.

Other than that, a programmable one would be really cool. Please don't strip away features to do so.

17. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    This is interesting. To my ears, with the EQ controls set flat and the Tight button engaged, the pedal pretty well matches my clean tone’s level of low end. However, I get a sizable bass boost by disengaging the Tight button, and I have to cut the Bass knob to about 9-10 o’clock to get it back to a “flat” amount of low end.
    I play with flatwounds so my clean tone is likely more bass-heavy than that of roundwound users, which likely makes up most of the people in this thread.

It really is a great pedal though, leave it to someone like Geddy to put out an all-around workhorse signature OD. I hope he gets a good cut of these above-average sales numbers.

TodaysTomSawyer likes this.
  18. Polka1

Polka1

Jul 25, 2018
    I think a lot of it comes down to how dynamic the controls are.

When I was initially diving in I liked the Bass - Mids - Treble set somewhat similar to how I normally would set an amp - with tight switch out. With tight switch in, I found I then wanted to boost bass more and also rolled off the blend a touch to fill it in as well.

It's probably more of what I am used to than anything else - doesn't always apply to new things.

19. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Those of you with experience with both yyz and vt bass, would you say the yyz drive is somewhat similar to the vt with character at 1-2 oclock?(as well as obviously being alot more versatile)

20. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    It’s a credit to the pedal’s design that it responds so organically to different setups

andrew likes this.