1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee Sansamp Pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KJackman, Jan 12, 2019.

1. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Briefly auditioned the YYZ and have an original VT Bass pedal. IMO, the two are not very similar sounding. The VT seems to have more inherent (Ampeg) coloring, whilst the YYZ seems more neutral. By 1-2:00, the VT is getting pretty aggressive in the upper midrange. That sort of tone might be something you can approximate using the tight button. But nothing beats trying it out for yourself!

andrew and keatz like this.
  2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    1-2 o’clock or higher. It’s certainly closer to that than how the VT’s character knob sounds when it’s below noon, for sure.
    I always liked the Character knob at or above 3 o’clock, and the YYZ’s gain captures that feeling well, especially with the Tight switch engaged. Having the Tight switch off sounds closer to lower Character knob settings, since there’s more low end introduced to the circuit.

keatz likes this.
  3. a-37

a-37

Apr 23, 2015
    Helsinki
    I noticed the manual suggests: "For best results, plug your instrument directly into the SansAmp YYZ. This will preserve the interactive nature of the unit." I normally have a Boss TU-3 tuner first in the signal chain, it feels convenient and acts as a buffer. I know I should go test myself but have any of you already discovered how much of a difference is there? (Maybe I'm not yet properly awake, can't quite figure out the interactiveness in this situation...)

Clemouze likes this.
  4. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    I don't think the buffer will change something, it saves the dynamics of playing. Unlike compressors
    Right ?

a-37 likes this.
  5. Mm! Not sure where they went - Care to share?
    Thomann are telling customers they expect them to be in 19 August!!!

6. a-37

a-37

Apr 23, 2015
    Helsinki
    Thanks, I was thinking along those lines as well but was afraid I'd missed something... :)

7. I don't know if it's been asked yet but how different is the YYZ from the darkglass AO? I might be picking up an AO but not sure if I should hold out for the YYZ. Thanks!!

8. a-37

a-37

Apr 23, 2015
    Helsinki
    I don't know how to describe their difference in a useful manner but I am not the only one here who has both. I am very new to YYZ now but currently have it sitting in front of my Alpha Omicron and first impressions are they make a very nice pair. In my case AOm needed something in front to boost the signal from my bass but YYZ does not.

jumbo_steelie likes this.
  9. Thanks for the quick response!!

10. a-37

a-37

Apr 23, 2015
    Helsinki
    I'm counting on @hbabels to give you some actually useful info for the comparison soon :) I just find them very different but definitely keeping both.

hbabels and jumbo_steelie like this.
  11. lesclaypoolsob

lesclaypoolsob Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Kentucky
    Just got mine and this thing RIPS. Holy crow. It's everything I wanted the DUG to be, but they are somewhat similar.

12. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok so I haven’t spend a ton of time comparing all the sounds you could get from the Alpha / Omega compared to the YYZ in but general the Alpha Omega has an even more aggressive / throaty midrange and more distortion on tap as well as wider variety of distortion type with the blend of the Alpha / Omega sides. It can get more into fuzz territory.

Set for low gain they can both do a similar thing tube amp / edge of breakup type sounds but distinctly different flavors of that. When pushed into more gain the YYZ can get brighter & more clanky but not B7k clanky. When both set to lower gain and then stacked I think they sound fantastic.

So I think the yyz and Alpha Omega are great together or could be could and an either or with different flavors. Kicking in the Alpha after the yyz gives Sound a. Nice boost without being too much and puts Sound more in your face but still sits good in the mix.

I’ve found I like the yyz first , after my wireless (Line 6 G70) when stacking with other pedals but as always. Everyone’s setup is different. I will say the yyz responds to playing dynamics excellently better than many other pedals so I’d leave compressors off at first when finding your sounds with it.

Hope this helps.

jumbo_steelie, a-37 and FaithNoMan like this.
  13. Man, that sounds really encouraging. I have my X in front of my Alpha-Omega right now to give the AO a brighter sheen/attack. The AO is def the midrange and body of my tone though.

hbabels likes this.
  14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Tried it tonight. I think it’s a keeper.

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Guitar player commented that it had the grind but kept the low end - which it did. I had a pretty minimal setting but it was noticeable.

16. So I finally got a chance to play this and I put a quick video together with my Gibson LP DC Tribute bass played with a pick.

It's my first time using a loop pedal so forgive the sloppiness.

upload_2019-7-14_22-37-58.
    I'm really happy with it. It's pretty easy to find a sound I like, even with the most anti-geddy bass ever, but as well as it being easy to get a good sound, there's alot of tweaking you can do.

17. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    A loop is consistent, which is great for being able to hear the tonal changes. Should be helpful for many folks who are unable to try it before buying. Thanks!

18. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Just finished watching DosiYanarchy's video. In particular, it gives an excellent demonstration of the impact of the Tight switch, which is something several people had asked about.

Fuzzbass, sonofshel and DosiYanarchy like this.
  19. I really, really enjoy videos like this one. Nothing flashy and it shows remarkably how each knob/button works and what it does to the sound. The type of distortion isn’t my favorite, but I know when combing overdrives that each one can sound markedly different and make for a great result. Big fan of the 2K midrange. 2-3K is where the attack of my favorite tones I found seem to thrive. And the tight button is great, esp for old strings.
    Nice work!

20. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    I totally agree! Brilliant video that shows exactly what the knobs do and what the pedal sounds like. Although, this fantastic video has actually decreased my GAS for the yyz as I actually don't dig the distortion sound

FaithNoMan and DosiYanarchy like this.