Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Truss Rod mod (leave the neck on!)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kazuhank, Apr 16, 2005.

1. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    It has been discussed a bit in the "basses" forum, and a few of my posts have prompted some PMs about how to replace the stock truss rod nut with a spoke wheel nut (like on the music man basses) so that you can adjust the truss rod without removing the neck. So here is how I completed the mod step-by-step:

The spoke wheel mod is fairly simple if you are comfortable routing the bass pickguard and body. Step by step, you need to: 1) buy the spoke wheel (here is a link to the one that I bought: spoke wheel it's only $5.16). 2) remove the neck from the body by backing out the four neck bolts (no damage to the bass if you are careful). 3) Unscrew the stock truss rod nut by loosening it until it comes off. 4) Thread the new truss nut onto the stock screw (they are the same size) you may want to add 1-2 small washers between the bolt and the truss rod nut as the spoke wheel nut is a hair shorter than the stock nut. 5) With the spoke wheel on the neck I held the neck back in the body pocket and traced around the wheel with a permanent marker. 6) I then routed out a small notch where the neck meets the body to accomodate the wheel using my marker lines as a template (this adds just enough room so that the wheel will rotate freely). 7) Then I used the sharpie marker to fill in the new body route (so that it doesn't "show" as much--you could use paint for a better look. 8) I then took a piece of paper and made a "rubbing of the new neck pocket and route that I used as a template to cut a notch in the pickguard (this time I worked inside the lines so that the hole was smaller than the body route)--I used a dremmel tool fairly easily for this step. Now it is just a matter of screwing the neck and the pickguard back on the body and adjusting the bass back to playing shape. If you are not comfortable doing this all yourself, buy the nut and take it into a repair shop for professional routing.

This is an easy mod to make that will allow you to adjust the truss as needed without having to take the neck on and off. And other than the body and pickguard route, you can return the bass to "stock" with the original nut and pickguard (I bought a new black pickguard that I routed just in case I ever wanted to go back to "stock"). I hope that that helps.

2. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    does this mod work on Warmoth necks?

3. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    As far as I know it will work on any truss rod with a 10-32 thread.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I just routed a truss rod access. I didn't need to but a new spokewheel.

[​IMG]

5. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Zombie thread.

How did you made a 10-32 truss rod wheel fit on a Japanese metric truss thread?

6. I never take the neck off to adjust the TR. Just loosen the strings, remove the 2 neck screws closest to the front of the neck, and loosen the 2 rear screws. Tilt the neck back and adjust away.

7. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Thanks. I don't even want to go that far, though.

I'm going to produce my own custom made metric truss rod wheels. All I need to do is route a tiny pocket behind the neck and it fits right in. It makes adjustments so much easier and faster.

8. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I have big balls, that's how!

Seriously, the 10/32 that Stew Mac sold threaded on the nut. I read another post here on TB which is where I got the idea.

Best of luck!

9. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    That's extremely strange if it's an original MIJ neck as they come with metric threads. :confused:

My truss wheels came out great. Ended up making them out of 316 stainless for increased strength. All that's left to do is drill the 8 evenly spaced holes on the adjustment end. Pics to follow soon.

10. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Here's my 316 stainless metric truss rod wheel in all of its non-corrosive glory. Made a few of these so I guess I'll have to buy more MIJ basses!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I never took my neck off when I had a Geddy...

I actually just removed the PG and found I was able to adjust the TR by using a flat head screwdiver with enough clearance to turn the nut, no problem.

12. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Different strokes for different folks.

I prefer to not even have to remove my pickguard. I want to be able to adjust it very quickly. Less tinkering, more playing. :)

13. Lublin, I realize this is an oldie, but do you recall the size of the threads on the adjustment wheels you made? I'd like to replace the truss rod nut on my CIJ Geddy Lee, and the 10-32 and 8-32 do not work with my bass. Thanks.