Geddy Lee's actual SVT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by moulie, Jan 23, 2009.

1. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    Wow if that is the real deal it would be worth a lot, that is part of the holy grail of bassdom!:hyper:

2. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Where is the price? He better have proof if he is going to sell it for significantly more than a non-famous SVT

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    It says $1500 on the ad, which seems like a regular SVT price. I guess Geddy had more than one SVT, because I'm pretty sure he used one he said was his old one during the recording of Counterparts in the early '90's.

4. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    $1500!? I guess if you're a fan and can prove its real then dish out the dough. I dont know, seems kind of fishy to me.

5. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    +1

I would guess it would go for more than that if it was really Geddy's and you could prove it. But then again, what do I know.

6. Actually it's quite plausible, My Brother owns one of Lifeson's marshall heads that he used during the All The World's A Stage tour.The price was reasonable. We used Rush's old gear at the rehearsal studio we played at in TO. The spray painted Logo is the exact same as what was on the gear we used.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    `While it could be faked, that Rush logo seems pretty authentic. I'm thinking its the real deal and while not necessarily a bargain, its not an unreasonable price without the Rush connection anyway. I got a pretty good vibe from his ad and he might just take less.

I recently checked the Canadian to USA $ conversion and it was just over 75 cents Canadian to $1 US funds. That sweetens the deal quite a bit too...

8. js1

js1

Oct 1, 2006
    The story that the guy tells rings true - Boys Brigade were a Toronto band who were produced by Geddy in the early 80s. So what might now seem really special would have been Geddy helping out a struggling bass player by giving him a 7 year old amp that got beat up on the road and not worth very much.

js

9. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Inactive

Jan 23, 2009
    That's pretty cool. Though I think Geddy used the SVT (with V4B cabs) fior his neck pickup (Rick stereo output). I'm pretty sure he played his treble pickup through a Sunn Colliseum 880 head and Sunn cabs.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I think it is legit and I would have bought it last week if the company I work for didn't just file Chapter 11.

Anyways, I played through some of Geddy's stuff when I was a kid in the mid 80's (friend of a friend was Geddy's bass playing relative in Toronto) and I recall some of the Geddy Sunn stuff having similar logos.

I wouldn't hesitate in buying this. Worst case is that it was a backup. I would be shocked if it wasn't owned by at least the band.

11. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I don't think that Canadians hold Rush in as high regard as Americans...

They're kinda like Lacrosse.

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Are you serious?:eyebrow:

Rush is massive in Toronto where I live and in many other Canadian cities. They are Canada's rock band (OK, maybe the Tragically Hip are more deserving of this title).

USA success that has been sustained since the late 70's or even since 1981's Moving Pictures? ? LA, Cleveland, Buffalo, Detroit.... mainly border towns with the exception of the west coast IMO.

Unless your comment was confused, I completely disagree.

13. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    It's just an amp guys. :)

14. I think it stands a good chance of being legit, and you might even be able to confirm it.

The bass player in Boys Brigade was named Wayne Lorenz. If my Google searches are any indication, he's still in Toronto, working as a record producer. You could probably look him up in a phone directory and just ask him about it.

But yeah, it's still just an amp. :)

15. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Yup, just an amp. But, if I had the cash, I'd have that amp. Just because of where it has been and what it has done.....it would be kind of cool to have some gear from one of your favorite musicians from your favorite band.

Who ever said GAS was a rational emotion?

16. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I would buy this amp...its not out of the ordinary price for an SVT and if it really was Geddy's, even better. If this guy was charging alot more for it just because it could have been Geddy's, then I would be more skeptical.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    WHo cares about Geddy's SVT? I own an SVT that used to belong to Doug Ingle, organist/songwriter for Iron Butterfly! ;)

18. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    I'm shocked that theres not a ton of interest in this! Its a
    good price for any early SVT, and the way Geddy is
    adulated here, somebodys gotta get this!

19. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    I cannot comment on the Canadian view, but from my US vantage point Rush is the greatest thing to ever originate in Canada.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021