1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy on The Big Interview Oct 24th

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DigitalMan, Oct 13, 2017.

1. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Spidey2112 likes this.
  2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Cool!

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Watching it now. Even only a few minutes in and I am glued to the guy.

4. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What a cool human being.

5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Agreed... we're still talking about Geddy, not Rather... right?

two fingers, BurnOut and crucislancer like this.
  6. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I unfortunately don't have that channel :crying:

7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016

... a little is better than none...

crucislancer likes this.
  8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I was pretty tired last night and I very rarely watch TV. I just happened to sit down last night for a few minutes and start flipping. I got to the interview moments after it started.

Now, I am a Rush fan (not a super fan but have enjoyed their work for years and even performed several of their songs on bass and vocals). And I'm a bass player, so even if I hated their work, I would have stopped and watched a bass player being interviewed.

But here's where Geddy crossed over into almost walks on water territory. My wife sat down beside me and asked "Who is that?" I told her and she rolled her eyes. So I set the DVR to record it and told her I wanted to watch for a couple of minutes and then we could turn to something else. When I went to change the channel, my wife stopped me and said "Don't you do it! I love this guy and I didn't even know who he was a minute ago." Geddy had won her over in about two minutes.

That interview was so refreshing. Turns out, the members of Rush are mostly awesome humans, not crazy, not jaded, family guys who actually love each others' company. (Forgive my faulty parallelism.) They are (to quote Geddy) "pals".

I highly suggest you find the interview and watch all of it if the YouTube video is only part of it.

It's worth the watch if for no other reason than to find out how he got the name "Geddy". (No spoilers, guys.)

He mentions the forthcoming book.

It gets personal.

Baseball fans will also love this interview even if you don't like Rush.

9. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I caught the second half of the interview. It confirmed that he's just as good of a guy as I thought he was.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten more traction!

10. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    I don't get AXS....I really hope it will be available elsewhere as I'd like to see it. :(

11. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
  12. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    This is perhaps the greatest documentation of Rush ever. I love these guys not only as a band but as human beings. You actually WANT to be there in the room with them enjoying the wine and company!

grinx, Janforth, PaulPriest76 and 2 others like this.
  13. bass4more

bass4more Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah, Beyond the Lighted Stage is an incredible documentary. The footage of a teenage Alex Lifeson at the kitchen table and telling his parents that he doesn't want to go to college because he wants to become a rock star is priceless.

crucislancer likes this.
  14. kevmc28

kevmc28

Feb 28, 2008
    Somerset, NJ, USA
    Great interview. Just watched it. He's such a good, thoughtful and interesting dude on top of his talent. I'm a Rush fan but not all of their catalog...mostly their 80s stuff. But I really wish I caught them live once. Moving Pictures is their masterpiece.

15. Janforth

Janforth Father of Chritobin Madden Challenge 19 Champion Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Florida
    So glad that he is being acknowledged. Allow me to also acknowledge that I just love Rush and Geddy Lee. I just Wanna go to the rooftops and scream: "I love my favorite band Rush and bassist Geddy Lee".

Sincerely.

16. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    They just seem like me and my dorky buddies. We get tickled over NOTHING. :D

Seriously, it's truly refreshing to see guys who have been in a band that long just enjoying each other's company rather than doing separate interviews on "Behind the Music" about how much they hate each other.

jwilson67 and crucislancer like this.
  17. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I just found the time to watch it last night. When it was over, I watched it again. It's rare to find a celebrity (these days, at least) who is as down to earth and genuine as Geddy Lee. No arrogance, no pretentiousness, and none of the elitist attitude that far too many musicians subscribe to.

18. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    You mean bands that act like adults and actually appreciate what they have rather than their egos? These guys are real human beings and not pumped up superstars who think they know a whole lot more than you and I.

two fingers likes this.
  19. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    It is nice to see, isn't it?

20. robass

robass

Oct 27, 2007
    central coast, ca
    That to me was the takeaway moment from this interview. I'm fascinated by the process that different successful bands go thru, and almost invariably there is one or two extremely strong personalities (egos?) in the band that sort of provide the creative drive and energy that brings success. I love that Rush seems to NOT have any one member like that - they are just all 3 extremely curious in their pursuit of their muse. And of course they have that incredible work ethic that is necessary for success

crucislancer likes this.