1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

General blank size

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Deanbassist445, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Hey everyone i am working on creating my first bass, and i have my blank for my body all glued up and it looks small, its a roungh 28"x maybe 16" and it look small in both x and y directions the depth is a rounch 1 13/16 and i am wondering if i should just make up a new blank for it or just try and see how it goes

2. rdrr

rdrr

Mar 29, 2005
    Newburyport MA
    Wouldn't it only be small if your body design is bigger then the blank? Do you have a full size drawing of your body? If not make one, then place it on your blank and see if it fits.

The fact that you are unsure of whether it will fit or not suggest to me that you may want to slow down and draw everything out to scale and do a bit more up front planning of your build. I find the things I over plan come out well and the things I just wing not so much.

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    The Gentleman from New England makes some very agreeable points.

4. Yes i know what your saying about slowing down and drawing everything out. I also think i am so second guessing about my process is that i am basically going at this blind. with no real guidence for this. i am in high school (a senior but hats besides the point) and my tech teacher is only a tempt and only has about 2 weeks left and my real teacher is way to precise to get this done by june.:meh:

5. rdrr

rdrr

Mar 29, 2005
    Newburyport MA
    hats usually cover the point :)

If your trying to get it done in shop class then I would suggest that you take the weekend and plan out your body. Get a large enough piece of paper to draw the entire thing out with all the reference lines and positions marked on it. You can then bring that into class and use as your reference. Even better would be to use it to create an mdf template and then use that in class to build your body.

6. thanks rdrr thats a really good idea to make a mdf template of it

7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    28 x 16 is plenty big. The minimum I look for is 21 x 13, which is about the right size for a "standard" sized bass body. Your thickness is just fine as well.

Edit: But yeah, the other guys are dead right. Either mock up a paper template, or (better yet) a 1/2" MDF template that you can use later for the router table. Then you'll know for sure.

8. Yeah...that precise crap just gets in the way..

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020