General Low Budget Software?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Razor, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I'm sure this has been asked somewhere however my searches didn't turn up anything specific to my needs..

I am putting a decent computer together for recording purposes. I need to find the software that isn't too intense on features but will allow me to get a decent recording of the band.

The plan is to have a line out from the mixer into the line in on the computers soundcard to capture the audio. I'd love to find inexpensive software that would allow each musician to track the tunes individually however if it comes down to it I suppose I could opt for an "all at once" system.

If anyone knows of a decent/inexpensive type of software please let me know.

I also want to know if, in theory, my idea of using the mixers output into the line in on the soundcard, will work and capture the sound correctly.

Any help is appreciated and if anyone needs further specific's on the equipment let me know.

2. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    you might check out cool edit pro (now owned by adobe and titled adobe audition) it's only bout $200.
    i've used cubasis, cubase, and some of the other steinberg stuff. i've also used cakewalk, and i find this audition to be just what i need. its simple to use, has power, and loads of flexibility. it won't do some of the hard core processing that cubase will, but i find it much easier to use.

also, if your looking to use a sound card, you might check out the Delta stuff. i use a delta 4in/4out sound card, and i think it works pretty well. if you plan to use condenser mics your going to need a phantom power source. most mixers have this (i just found out my band's mixer does).
  3. ShantiCat

ShantiCat Supporting Member

I am a big fan of n-Track Studio not only for the price but the features as well. You can get a version for $49 or $75 for the 24 bit version. Now with version 4.0, you get the compressor and EQ plugins free. My goal was to find inexpenisve software to do computer based recording and move up to the "big boys" when needed, but I have found that n-tracks does everything I need. One other piece of advice is to have lots of RAM and if possible a fast harddrive.

4. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Two really good ideas...thx everybody.
    Keep em' coming...
  5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Easy and cheap:

A lot of soundcards/interfaces these days come bundled with recording software. I just got an M-Audio Delta 24/96 soundcard (for $100) that came with budget versions of Ableton Live (multitrack recorder/sequencer) and Reason (soft synths/drum machines). Haven't used 'em much but Live seems very intuitive. Presonus is selling some of their interfaces with Cubase LE; M-Audio, Mackie, and Lexicon USB interfaces all come with recording software. You'll probably get better info from a pro audio store (like Sweetwater or BSW) than Musician's Friend or Guitar Center.

Free but more difficult:

I've been exploring the world of Linux audio. Linux is a free, open-sourcecode operating system that is really starting to give Micro$oft a run for its money. I'm using a Linux audio distribution called Agnula DeMuDi that contains some pretty heavy-duty softsynths/drum machines, multitrack recorders, and editing/sequencing software.

To get the most out of this software I've had to do a lot of Googling and downloading of info. You also have to be willing to learn a bit about a different operating system. If you don't have a high-speed internet connection it will take a long time to download the programs you need. I'm still figuring the stuff out but I'm getting together a pretty cool recording/production system for very little money, and I'm learning a whole lot about computers in the process.

I run out of my Tascam 4 track's mixer section into the soundcard's inputs. Make sure to set the levels correctly and configure the soundcard, and it should work fine.
  6. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro. It does the job very well. Check it out.
  7. Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    Cakewalk Home Studio XL and non XL, or the latest version, version 2, are a step above some of the other software that I've seen recommended. It makes transitioning to Sonar much easier than using some of the other software mentioned.

This is not to say that the other software that has been recommended won't do the job just fine, as has been indicated by other posters.

Home Studio goes for under $100 with some diligent searching.

8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Mackie is currently giving away an older version of its Tracktion recording software. I downloaded a copy and it looks like fun, as long as you have a soundcard with functional inputs it might be all you need. Follow the link below:
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC

Tracktion is a great program, and not expensive. If you want the most up-to-date version, it's still only $80.

But don't forget (to the original poster), it's not just about the software. If you have a crummy soundcard, you won't get good results whatever software you use.
  10. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Thanks for the info you guys...I'm starting the research phase now..yall have definately given me enough homework! :D
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Late reply: Audigy, free and available for both PC and Mac.
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  13. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    We use Adobe Audition. It works great, but is a little pricey I suppose at around $300.