1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Benz Focus 112: is it braced like a Barefaced?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BarabassNL, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BarabassNL

BarabassNL

Jan 25, 2016
    The discontinued Genz Benz Focus cabinets took my interest. They are lightweight, have large ports and ‘thin’ plywood.
    I like Barefaced cabs because they are light, as small as possible en go loud and more or less low, depending the inner space aka dimensions.
    A Genz Benz Focus 112 is larger than a Barefaced Super Compact (more cubic inch/cm) but smaller than a BB2. The Barefaced 12XN550 (Eminence OEM) isn’t available, but a Kappalite 3012HO could do the job. But how is the cab? Is it worth a 235 euro driver? Is it braced? Is it stiff?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Play both and see which one YOU like. If you don't like the Focus cabinet, then don't buy it. It's really quite simple.

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I'm not clear what the question is.
    Is the GB Focus cabinet braced? I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes".
    How does the Kappalite 3012HO fit into this story? Were you planning on replacing the driver in one of these cabinets with the Kappalite, and if so, why?

4. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    If that's the case, the Focus cabinet is likely not tuned close enough for a 3012HO.

5. BarabassNL

BarabassNL

Jan 25, 2016
    Thanks for your replies. The plan is to replace the 200W keramic driver for a more wattage neo driver.

6. I think you would be better building a new fearful cab if that’s what you want

7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I doubt the cabinets tuning is close enough to gain much (if any) performance. I would sell it and buy something that's more suitable for your needs.

Agreed, or find something already built that can be tried before buying.

8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    OP, if you read the threads on this forum, one theme will stand out: stuffing some random driver into a given cabinet is a recipe for failure. Cabinets are designed to work with a specific driver, at least the good ones are.