Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Genz Benz GBE1200: Initial impressions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shawnost, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Well, after looking around and trying different amps for a month or so I finally ordered the Genz Benz GBE1200 last week. It arrived yesterday and in a word....DAMN!:eek: :eek: This amp kicks @ss!

First of all the construction of the amp is absolutely superb, it just feels solid and the control knobs have a very nice detented feel to them. At first all the tone shaping ability of this amp appears daunting but I was able to dial in nice fat/growly tones in a few minutes on both the FET and Tube channels. Overall, it's very flexible with the solid state and tube channels (and the ability to mix them), lots of eq available and the global tone shaping section adds yet another layer of goodness.

The guys at Genz Benz did a great job on this amp, and besides any amp that uses this many blue LEDs has got to be good :smug:. Seriously though, after working 7 years in the Optoelectronic industry (on commercialization of blue LEDs) it is nice to see them showing up in more and more consumer products....Not to worry though, I didn't buy it for the looks but for the power and tone!

Also, since I know that gear does not exist without pics, I'll get some up as soon as possible. :bassist: :bassist:

Shawn

2. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Very cool dude! Its one of the amps Im considering as my update, either a Genz or a pre/power deal with a fender TBI or Ampeg Cl :confused:

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    hey, congrats and thanks for your support.

Don't let the controls intimidate. A simple format to get started.

Use the FET for slap and the tube for finger.
    Settings are o'clock-
    FET-
    Low: 2
    low mid: 2
    mid: 10-12
    high mid: 10-12
    high: 2
    Tube-
    low: 2
    low mid: 2
    mid: 12
    high mid: 12
    high: 12

Depending on your bass the FET setting should be great for slap and the Tube setting should be good for Rocco, Jaco finger grooves. With these settings you shouldn't need to mess with the signal shaping.

Inputs: set your levels so the input level lights come on with your hardest hits.

4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    continued:

now, if you want to go to the next level. Keep the same channel settings but blend the two channels. Now you'll get the faster response of the fet channel with a bit of tube "organicness".

What I often do when blending is now engage the signal shaping section. For slap I use a little low end boost and high boost. And depending how mid prominent my channel mix tone is, I might use the mid scoop......only a tad though. I'm not a big fan of pulling out lots of mids.

I hope this helps.
    Kindest Regards,
    Roger Hart

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    PS- since you work with opto's, you know the challenges presented by blue LED's. Some in the amp world haven't figured it out yet.

6. Absolutely amazing; you guys have no idea how bad I want that amp. Of course, as (bad) luck would have it, I found a Mesa Basis M-2000 on eBay, another amp that I was seriously considering. Now I'm torn again between the two amps.

I'd love to hear more about the GBE1200 as you gig with it and discover the rest of its potential. It's a sick head. Enjoy!

Peace

7. Shawnost

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    I have a gig next weekend and I can't wait to see how this amp performs in that setting...should be awesome!

hasbeen,
    Thanks for the suggested settings, I'm actually not too far off from these (I like to set the amp close to flat and let the demeter pre in my Roscoe do alot of the tone shaping). The sound with the channels mixed and the tone shaping is just incredible, the low frequency boost is just so powerfull. It's sound you can feel!!

Shawn

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am pretty sure I am going to pick one of these up in the very near future. I want to get the 610 cabinet to go with it as well.

Be sure to keep us informed as you get a chance to use it some more.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice post, thanks! I ordered the 750, it fit my needs better. I'll post up when it shows. Looking forwsard to it lots!

10. Shawnost

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Just so this amp can exist:

[​IMG]

I am still just amazed with this amp, I have found a very good overall tone with both the FET and Tube channels and have spent the past few nights playing around with the global tone shaping controls....very powerful, particularly the low frequency boost.

Shawn

11. It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine...In another year or two. But by the Genz Benz will have probably come out with something even better, which I'll buy instead, but if not, that amp is my dream amp.

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    blue led's are a different animal then other colored ones. Note that when you turn off a green one, it stays green.....red stays red. Yet, when you turn off a blue one it goes clear/white.

Blue LED's are very sensitive to voltage. Too much or too little can burn them out. Static charges can also blow them. This is why you don't see too many of them used.

13. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Jumping on board...that thing looks awesome!

14. yeah, +1 great looking amp! def my new choice if I had to go SS again!

15. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Nice amp - Enjoy it. I haven't heard one yet but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts once you've spent some time gigging with it.

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Bump. I am very interested to hear some more of your impressions on this thing.

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
  18. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I bought mine a few weeks ago but haven't had the opportunity to give it a good workout. That comes tonight!

It's paired up with my GB610T-XB2.

Should be fun.

Some feedback will be forth coming tomorrow.

TD

19. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Looks like from the pic that you have some sort of SWR cab. Try that thing through an HT322. It's heaven.

20. Is the 1200 basically the same thing as the 750 and 600, just with a bunch more power and separate EQ controls for both the FET and Tube preamps?

I was just offered a really good deal on one of these. It would cost about $175 more than the 600 I was about to pick up. I know I shouldn't, but you know how GAS works...

If I sold my rack tuner it could work out. Hmmm.....

I also think this might be too heavy for me - I was going to get an airhead cab, but with this big boy in that airhead the whole thing would weigh like 90+ pounds. :meh:

The battle between practicality and GAS rages within me.