1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz-Benz NeoPak with BFM Omni10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kesslari, Mar 11, 2008.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I essentially finished my BFM Omni10 tonight (still have a little cosmetic work to get it completely finished, but it's playable).
    Plugged my new GB NeoPak into it.
    It sounds GREAT! Clear and present and punchy.
    Ms. Tobias has a lovely growl through it - growl for DAYS! GRRRRROW!
    I'm a sonically happy camper...
    [​IMG]

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Ok, I need to get off my butt and finish mine. Those pesky house projects keep getting in the way though. :mad:

Why did you have the tweeters aligned like that instead of going with a crossfireing config? Looks good though!

3. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    As I understand it, crossfire is better for PA applications, less necessary for bass.
    But getting the tweeter elements close together is a Good Thing.
    So I did this instead of lining them up lengthwise.

4. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    Nice job jon. I can't wait until I finish my 2nd 10.5.

John

5. Im glad it sounds good, when i get my O10 done, it will be joined by a Shuttle 6.0 in the summer :D

6. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    And the obligatory photo "with additional woofer"
    [​IMG]

7. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    How would you compare this cab to other cabs? Which drivers did you use?

8. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Emprov:
    I used the Deltalite 2510 drivers, as they were very, very highly recommended for this build on Bill's forum.

I've been playing through a 115 (a GK 115 combo). That's admittedly not a great system, with a too-small enclosure for the driver. But the Omni10 kicks its butt in terms of volume and presence. The low end is much clearer as well, though that's not necessarily saying much (the low end of that GK cab just falls apart, period).

I just got the BFM finished. I would describe it as very, very present - e.g., has a lot of presence. I'll bring it to rehearsal on Sunday. I'm quite confident that it will sit beautifully in the mix.
    Over time I'd like to A/B it with some other cabs. I feel pretty sure it would stack up favorably to other 210's. I'm curious to hear it against some 410's.

I can't really provide accurate feedback beyond that.

If you're considering building one - allow a lot more time than you think. It was a major time sink for me (time is one thing I don't have a lot of). But the end product is definitely a fine one.

9. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Good stuff, thanks. I actually have already built the box, sanded and am ready for the rat fur. It's just having the time to put finish it up at this point. I'm starting with a 10.5 and, if I like it, I plan on doing an airhead version so that I can put the Neo-Pak into it for a light and good sounding combo. BTW, I have a few 2510's waiting for homes.

10. Nice one. How much does it weigh?

11. Final builds are generally under 50lbs (going by the BF site)

12. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Congrats. Looks good.