1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz Uber210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaxmiser, Apr 3, 2009.

1. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    Maybe I missed it. Its been talked about a bit. Anyone have experience with the GB Uber 210? Maybe compare it to some other 210s you've tried. Matched up with a 212 or 410?

Thanks for any info.

2. thetaxmiser

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    Wow, no responses. With all the Genz Benz love around here I figured at least a few would have given this a test drive.

Are they even out in stores yet? Or just unpopular for some reason?

3. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hm, just 8 hours? On a Friday?

patience, grasshopper.

curious am I as well.

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    lol..the Uber210 is the one cabinet I have to get my hands on... I'd love to try one.

5. thetaxmiser

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    Looks like I can respond to my own question. I finally got out to try some amps. The only GB cab within an hour from me was an Uber 210.

This is the first GB product I have checked out. They had a shuttle 6.0 and an Uber 210. For many years I gigged a 215 cabinet with a 200 watt tube head. A few years back I decided to downsize but have been dissatisfied ever since. My current rig is a Thunderfunk 420 and Bergantino HT112 and HT112 extension cab (no tweeter). I feel buried when even playing with a medium hitting drummer. Maybe the head? Maybe the cabs? Maybe my own unrealistic expectations for a small rig?

With that as background I guess I was expecting more from the genzbenz experience. Just didn't have that much wallop. I guess that makes sense though. The 210 is 8 ohms. The shuttle is 375 watts into 8 ohms so in effect I was playing less amp than I currently own.

The cabinet was well made. I really like the positioning of the handles. It is light and seems like it would be easy to move. It is also a great looking cab. An uber stack would be a nice looking rig. I liked the tone. It was tight but still had some bottom. I believe it has a thicker lowend than my current bergantino rig but maintained nice articulation. Based on this, I think I will like the uber 410. For my needs I can see the uber 210 maybe being paired with a second cabinet, either the 212 or the 410. The shuttle seems like a versatile head.

I was really running short on time and this was not an optimal audition of the cab. I just grabbed a bass off the rack and they had a very limited choice to choose from. The Shuttle 6 has a lot of possibilities so I think a decent amount of time will be required to decently put it through its paces. There are a couple more bass centric stores further away that I will be abing these cabs with other brands in a better setting.

6. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    The Uber 212 and 410 are monsterous sounding cabinets. I would love to to try a 210 under an Uber212 or even a neoX112. Bassed off the sound of the Uber's212/410 I am sure the 210 has the tone but as I said, I have yet to hear one.

7. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    though I'm certain they are tuned correctly, it appears the U 210 has more internal volume per driver than the U 410. Would this lead to a bassier tone relative to it's big brother in a similar manner as is reported between the NEOX 112 and 212??

though I can't afford it right now, I think I need to hear an Uber or two w/ my DB 750 (providing they play nice together!)

8. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Fort Bliss Texas
    I have a Genz Benz NEOX 112 that I got for sale and I can tell you that I love that cab, the sound is clear. I have a 5 string bass and that cab handles the B string really good. I recoment it. The only rweason I am got it for sale is because I need the money, but once I get stable again I will get it again.

9. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Due to a theft I will be trying the Genz Uber210 as of Thursday. My 410 was stolen out of my car as was my NeoX112...so it will be a pair of Uber210's for now... I will let you know what I think

10. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Gonna try them vertically?

;)

11. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Man. Im sorry to hear that. I hate thieves..
    I thought my GB Shuttle 6 was stolen last week.. I looked for it all day.... It was under my seat in the gb gig bag.. i stopped short the day before coming from a gig...nd it must have traveled some.
    :rollno:
    To the OP. i have never tried an Uber cab.. Only the neox cabs..
    Waiting to hear FBs report.

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Due to coupling, the bottom end feels thicker on the 410. The internal volume is pretty close per driver between the two cabinets, and the port tuning addresses this as well.

Perhaps 2 x 210's might be slightly thicker sounding than a single 410, but the difference would be pretty small.

13. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    The difference is bigger than I would have thought. The dual Uber210's is a big fat tight wall of giddyup. I just did 4 hours on the pair and it is very very large sounding. I will do a full review in the beginning of the week. So far sooooooooo FATTTTTTTTt

14. thetaxmiser

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    So I made the mistake of sampling the shuttlemas12 - uber 212 - Uber 410 rig last weekend. What a fantastic sounding rig. Just what I'm looking for.

The flexibility of having a smaller cab - the uber 210 - to take alone to smaller rooms would be great. In your opinion would a 212 + 210 uber rig have the same mojo as the 212 - 410?

The cabs are at different shops around here so I can't A/B the setups.

15. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    the 212 is a cabinet unto itself. I love the 215 ish sound of the 212. Dual 210's is a huge sound on under the Max12.0 750 watts pumped in to dual 210's is a ground shaking S.O.B.
    I haven't tried the 210 under the 212 yet but I will hopefully soon.

16. thetaxmiser

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    I just spent about 1/2 hour at a shop with the Uber 210 (shuttlemax12, Musicman Bongo HH 5 string). This works great as a standalone cab. Plenty of volume, same nice tight growly sound as the 212 and 410. Really versatile with the shuttlemax 12. Went from rock to funk to lounge and it was very easy to cop each sound.

I was able to back away about 10 feet so I got a decent feel for the sound. I ended up dialing down the tweeter quite a bit but that is a personal preference. I would be tempted to put feet on the side of the cab so it could be run with the 10s stacked vertically.

The location of the handles make the 210 easy to move. Its relatively light (around 50 lbs?) and it is small enough that it wouldn't look out of place on a very small gig (cocktail piano, acoustic guitar, etc.).

Shuttlemax12 + uber 212 + uber 210 seems like a great sounding and flexible rig.

17. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    video live of the dual Uber210's stacked vertical

18. Very nice solo in the first clip :bassist:

19. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida