1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz Streamliner 900 Peak Light Question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sethro, Jun 5, 2012.

1. sethro

sethro

Aug 14, 2008
    Richmond,VA
    I just had my first full band practice with my new Streamliner 900,I was blown away by the warm,deep tube tone! My concern is that the orange peak light was coming on way too much for me not to worry. Does this amp have a internal limiter thats telling me when its enabled via peak light? I did some tube rolling and have a Electro Harmonix in the V1 position,a Ruby in V2,and a JJ in the V3 position,all 12AX7....But
    anyone think thats a factor to my peak light wanting to illuminate alot? I didnt have the GAIN button on,and the gain&vol knobs around noon. Master around noon as well.My guitarist uses a Peavey 6505 full stack,cranked :( I play a Spector rebop 5string,and my cab is a Ampeg 810e. Im just curious if its ok for the PEAK light to come on so much? It didnt seem to be hurting the signal,or distorting my drivers,honestly sounded amazing and LOUD&CLEAR. But im from the Ampeg and SWR school of rock and may need some incite here on Genz Benz PEAK light DOS and DONTS? Am i hurting my new amp? Any advice or tips would be great,thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How are you going to get any crank if you don't light up the gain knob? Light it up and have fun!

3. sethro

sethro

Aug 14, 2008
    Richmond,VA
    Haha Jimmy,i was more concerned with the peak light on the other side of the amp,lol. But thanks,i agree. I havent had enuff time with the 900 to really get to use the gain button yet. Man does Genz sound good to my ears though!

4. What does the manual say?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It says, "How are you going to get any crank if you don't light up the gain knob?"

:D

The manual says keep the gain from clipping if you want a clean sound and make it clip if you want dirt. That's what it's designed to do. Has a tube preamp for that purpose.

6. outyonge

outyonge

Jun 4, 2012
    I havent had enuff time with the 900 to really get to use the gain button yet.
    [​IMG]

7. 313

313 Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Central PA
    The Streamliner has no preamp clipping indicator. The peak light referred to in OP indicates that the power section is reaching its peak capacity. When driving this amp hard, it is normal to have it blinking, IMO.

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Flashing on peaks is fine. If it's on a lot of the time you are well into the 3DPM and limiting which increases the average power ratio quite a bit above the ratio for which most speaker cabinets are rated and some caution would be advised. Under some conditions, where the average to peak ratio is well beyond what is considered "normal" or "safe", the amp may determine that there is the liklihood for being a fault and go into protect mode.

9. sethro

sethro

Aug 14, 2008
    Richmond,VA
    Thanks guys,im going to try lower gain settings tomorrow night at practice. Agedhorse,thank you for your answer,its a great sounding head i didnt want to damage mine by clipping the power amp. Ive read the tube rolling thread a bit,do you adhere to a less hot 12ax7 in the V1 position would help to reduce the inputs signals hotness? Ill go back and reread the thread,maybe a smoother/less hot tube than the EH 12ax7 im running in the V1 position will help. Thanks guys/gals for your thoughts!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm sorry...it took a couple hours for it to sink in that this light wasn't the same as a preamp gain light ;)

11. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    On LOUD gigs i will at time light the Yellow Limit Light from time to time. But it does not stay lit up like an ON/OFF light... That would not be good.. But if it flashes every so often thats fine.. and you get that sort of Tube amp emulation in the limiting

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Totally personal preference. I don't find a need for changing it myself.