George Herman / Josef Lazar

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by The_Jester, Oct 30, 2004.

1. The_Jester

Jun 28, 2002
    Asheville, NC
    I am looking for a new bass and someone local is selling a George Herman German made bass. Anyone ever heard of these? Can't seem to find any info.

I was also wondering about the Josef Lazar Hybrid on the Giardinelli site. Seems like a good price for a Hybrid anyone have any thoughts on it?
  2. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    A German Herman. Can you go play it? As for Giardinelli, aren't they linked to Musician's Friend? I'm curious about the Josef Lazar too, if for any other reason than to discover if that is in fact a fictitious name used to sell instruments, not to mention the "craptastic-ness" factor given that it sports a carved top...
  3. The_Jester

Jun 28, 2002
    Asheville, NC
    Found out the used German bass is a "Georg Herrmann DB66" and is distributed by Glaesel. Any one have any idea if this is a good bass or what I should pay for a used one?

It looks to me like the Josef Lazar, Silver Creek, Mathias Thoma, and Leon Aubert are all the same thing? At least they all have the same pictures, descriptions, Names, and are all made in Romania. Any one know if this is the case? If so the Josef Lazar might be a good deal as they are blowing them out.
  4. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Musician's Friend (Giardinelli's parent I think) sent me an e-mail confirming that the Silver Creek and Josef Lazar 3/4 thinbody electric uprights were in fact the same instrument, I've no reason to expect any different from them with regard to the rest of their wares. Again, the "craptastic" sirens sound.

As for the Glaesel/Herman, you can read about the Glaesel history online. Seems like instruments imported in various states of assembly, and finished or "shop adjusted" here. Looks like nobody else is chiming in here...anyone? Engelhardts, another Glaesel name, get a decent rap. As for the Herman, it appears that would fall under the Scherl & Roth name.

I have no experience with any of these instruments, simply looking up info.
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm seriously considering buying the Josef Lazar thinbody upright. What's the deal with them being the same basses? Why is MF so quick to admit that, and is there anything else I should know or consider before placing my order? Thanks.
  6. The_Jester

Jun 28, 2002
    Asheville, NC
    Steve Swan has one that looks like it might be the same thing for sale. I Just bought a bass from him and am very happy. I would contact him about that one if I were you.
  7. BassGuy464

Jul 15, 2008
    Anna, Ohio
    I own and have owned a Herrmann bass for 18 years now. Mine is a 1978. I use Labella black teflon wound strings and mine is as loud and deep toned as any you will find. I love this bass. I would like to own a new Upton Bass some day but will never part with this one. I say Buy it if you can!
  8. I am coming to the conclusion that is what I have, I have always known it as a Glaesel made bass and I am trying to get a price on mine. I bought it new in 1984 for around $1000. I think they are considered student model basses. but it has G Herrmann's name on a sticker and says it is a copy of Antonio Stradavarius. Model # looked like DB66. here are some pics of it For Sale/

having a hard time getting any info on it when I do searches ... I want to sell it but it will be hard on me cause it was such a great bass for the price. so I want to make sure I get a good price check on it......
  9. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Ahhh . . . what's in a name??? Apparently, not much these days, especially when it comes to these cheaper basses.

Engelhardt: successor company to Kay Musical Instruments. Basses made in Elk Grove Village, Illinois using Kay designs and templates. Decent plys with a good luthier set-up.

Scherl & Roth: Old line US company that at one time imported very good quality instruments (ex.,E.H. Roth) from Germany. Now part of Conn-Selmer conglomerate. Most products imported from Romania or China and sold under various names through MF and other music superstores.

Glaesel: similar to S&R. Now rolled into the S&R family.

Wm. Lewis & Sons: another, formerly, good Chicago based supplier. Also part of Conn-Selmer today. Conn-Slemer owns about 80% of the US msuical instrument market today.

Some of the basses sold through MF and toher places like them are OK - others are not. Please remember that these generally do not receive any set-up. If you order by internet, the bass goes stright from the manufacturer's distribution center to you without anyone having looked at the bass or done anything to make it more playable.

Not the best way to buy a bass, IMHO, but you have to do what you have to do.
  10. jolok

Nov 26, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    I have a 2001 Georg Hermann Glaesel shop-adjusted DB66. It is the first double bass I have purchased. I have played some "comparable" basses (Shens and Englehardts), and I really appreciate the way the Hermann projects. It was setup by the excellent folks at Nashville Violins, and I must say -- a good setup makes all the difference. I know the Hermann isn't a "fine instrument" by any stretch, but I love the sound and the way it plays (with Obligatos).
  11. Richard Hagens

Richard Hagens

Apr 6, 2016
    I have and play a 1979 DB66 in Cleveland and have owned this bass since 1990. I love this bass, the volume is amazing and sustains very well with good deep tones. I have just recently re finished it. If you Find a George Herrmann bass you better buy it!

Attached Files: