Gerald Veasley

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Is anyone with me when I say that I enjoy Gerald Veasley's music, but I just can't hang with his tone!!!! I just think it sounds cheesy, kind of like a bad imitation of Stanley's tone with more bottom end?!?!?!!? Call me crazy, I was just wondering if anyone out there felt the same -- or even cared.
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well he endorses Ibanez basses so blame them or the recording engineer! I have several of his cd's and my feeling is I don't think he's a good songwriter. He's much better suited as a sideman. But I'd say it may be his recording technique that kills his tone! He's a really good bassist! You had to be to play for Zawinal and Miles!
  3. No doubt that he is a great bassist. Maybe you are right. Maybe his songwriting makes his tone bad. There are always only one or two tracks on his discs that are enjoyable.
  4. blen dem

blen dem Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2001
    USA, Vallejo
    haven't heard enough of his material to pose a serious opinion BUT he sounds great on the Jaco Tribute album... From the compositions I've heard from him, i did find it a bit too "ordinary", just mi opinion... As for tone wise, clean but again "ordinary"... he smokes on the word of mouth revisited tho!!!!