Gerald Veasley

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by andysvec, Feb 19, 2005.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Got to see him a few days ago here on Guam! We don't get many world class players through here, but he was on a USO tour with Pieces of a Dream. Despite the rainy weather, and the subpar sound company taking forever to set up, it was an incredible show! What a groove he locks into, amazing chops on both slap and fingerstyle. Did one of his songs too, and he can really solo. He also did a lot of palm muting and playing with his thumb, almost like he was using the edge of his thumbnail to get a muted pick like sound.
    I wasn't familiar with any of Geralds songs or Pieces of a Dream (except the Grover Washington and EWF covers), but was really in awe of the show. He's definately a world class player.

(anyone have his instructional video and want to trade? pm me if interested, I have lots of vids myself that I just put onto dvd and am going to sell the vhs as soon as I'm done transferring all of them).
  2. Hey Andy! I haven't heard any of Gerald's solo albums, but I have heard him in several contexts as a sideman. He's a great player no doubt. Glad you got see such an accomplished player.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Great player.....but lately his solo albums have become happy-jazz. If you can get the BET jazz station, he shows up on a lot of the Studio Jams shows....kicking booty :bassist:
  4. Gerald Veasley did some nice work for/with the Zawinul Syndicate years back....had some nice solo work as well.
  5. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    gerald is a great bassist and a really nice funny '96 i had the privlege to spend a week touring with gerald,he was playing with the "Heads up allstars"witch included keyboard player joe mcbride and sax player kenny blake and i was playing with sax player tim cunningham.we did four gig's over a week and i got to hang with him a little bit.very open and willing to share and teach
  6. I believe Gerald Veasley played with Scott henderson in Zawinul's group a small eternity ago(Early 80's??).
    I'll have to go through the Vinyl and Discs to check.
  7. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Check out Gerald's cuts on the Word of Mouth Revisited CD.The cat blows his booty off!!!!!! World Class, OH YEAH!!!!