Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

german bow help!!

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by bassmonkey144, Sep 17, 2004.

1. hey guys, my highschool teacher lent me a german bow to use at home, but she didnt tell me it was broken. the bow screw seems to be stuck in place, and will neither tightnen nor loosen even a milimeter. any suggustions on how to fix it?

2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Bassmonkey:

Could be stripped, who knows. Is it a wood bow? Even if not, take it up to Carmel to Alexander Leyvand at the Violin Shop of Old Carmel 317.818.2326.

Alexander does't work on basses, but I have him re-hair my bows when I'm in a crunch. He could probably fix it pretty quickly for you.

3. its a glasser fiberglass bow, as far as i can tell. any idea on the cost of that, it needs to be restrung as well. ha, old school bows are quite beat up.

4. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    He might be able to fix it with a cheap replacement part. I think that he is very fair, particularly with students.

I pay $40 - $45 to have my bows re-haired (I think). That's about cutomary as far as I know.

5. If it is a glasser fiberglass bow, you might be facing the same cost as a new fiberglass bow if the repair and rehair come to more than $60. These are quite inexpensive from many sources. If the thing won't turn at all, it is probably cross threaded or stripped. I did see replacement frogs for the German glasser bows at International Luthiers Supply, which has a minimum purchase requirement, shipping fee and also the frog was something like $8.00. The frog on mine cracked when I dropped it and I still may replace it because the hair was still good, but if the hair had been worn out completely, I would just toss the whole thing. It's not that I'm wasteful, you just have to weigh these things and for the price of rehair plus repair, you might be spending more than for a new glasser. :)