Get THAT sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashton, Mar 16, 2006.

1. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Can an Ashdown ABM300 give me a Nick Oliveri sound.

No Mesa 400s to Aust anymore, Can't get amps from overseas power inverter too costly and risky.

The only other option would be Ampeg but I haven't heard much good about their new tube heads.

Any suggestions?
  2. Get an older ampeg head then?

Or watch out on the Aus ebay for a Mesa?
  3. shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    u cant get a mesa 400+ to aust anymore? how come?
  4. Sure!

It depends a lot on the bass you use! Nick uses Precision basses exclusively and his sound is there thanks to these thumpy basses.

On the Ashdown: kick up the gain untill you get a nice overdrive. Increase bass and mids, decrease highs. This together with a P-bass should get you quite close.
  5. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    A Mesa dealer told me that they stopped making the 400+ for Australian power sources.

I got the Precision bass covered so now its two and a half grand I have to find for the Ashdown.

I heard he uses a mesa v twin aswell that would really help with the OD but they are out of production and very hard to get in Australia.
  6. dont believe everything they say, i was told a year ago that they wouldnt be bringin peavey into the country anymore, or dean...and behold...peavey and dean everywhere.....

if mesa stopped producing 230-240v power supplys for their amps they'd be cutting off supply's to half the world

ill have a look around local to see if i can find a V-twin for ya
  7. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    That would be puff.
  8. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    It's true. Mesa hasn't being sending 400+'s to Aus for quite some time.. When was the last time you saw a new one in store? It's not for all their amps heath, but the 400+ aint gettin sent here no more.
    They do pop up used, I was looking for one a while back but the V8 came up first.

The V-Twins are on eBay all the time, just keep your eyes open.
  9. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    V twins on ebay Australia? I will check that out now and again.

I found a V1 bottle rocket it looks more like the pedal in Nicks lineup anyone had exp with this and bass?
  10. In the footage from the new QOTSA live DVD you can see him with a white Jazz during the recording of SFTD. During one of their shows I saw he was clearly using a J as well.
  11. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Ashdowns are great amps, but they don't sound like an all tube amp. If you really want that sound, you'll need tubes in the output stage of your amp.
  12. ARRRRGGGGGGG I HATE THAT AD!!!!!!!!!!!!>....

thats it, no V-twin for you, come back 1 year!!!!

but seriuosly, i HATE THAT FRIGGIN AD
  13. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Yes that ad was bad the first time and just gets worse.

I have seen Nick with a Les Paul bass aswell. But he says he likes fender cause they are only good for practice, touring and recording with.

Does Ashdown handle de-tuned basses well?
  14. they handle 5 strings quite well...but id say it'd depend more on the cabinet
  15. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Well I would get the ashdown 2x10 combo most likely and if it's bass response isn't what I want save for an ampeg cab or something.

I would like to try the new ampeg all tube heads the ones they say are almost exact replicas of the blue line SVT circuts. Might be what I am after.
  16. have you tried lab systems?..i havent but have heard good things about them
  17. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    I'm trying to figure out if that's what the bass/keyboard player in Wolfmother used at BDO cause that was great tone.

A friend who I used to live next to had one of the first labsystems heads by my guess work, this was maybe 7 years ago and the head was beat up.
  18. this is just another option, have you thought about getting a line 6 pod and a power amp?....that might be an easier way for your quest for tone....ben kenny from incubus has one in his mesa (venture) rig and he sounds great
  19. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    I have a phobia of rack gear and line6.
  20. cool....thats fair enough...but ill keep an eye out here if i see any seccond hand or cheap ampeg/mesa gear