1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Get to Know Your GC Sales Staff!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A salesman at my local GC, Fairview Heights, Illinois, just allowed me to layaway a totally mint Cirrus (beautiful cherry red) four complete with case and candy for $650, taxes included!:hyper:

GC often gets bad rap at TB, but it pays to get to know them and do business there because they can send some great deals your way!:cool:

2. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    you know the rules, no pic no bass

3. Why do you say they "allowed" you to layaway a bass?? They always offer to put a bass or geetar on layay for my Son and I :confused:

4. Um...he wouldn't have it yet if he put it in layaway....

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Probably gave him a deal, that's about half of what they usually sell for right?

6. I think Cheese was referring more to the price not the layaway process.

Hope to see it soon Cheese! :bassist:

7. OK, gotcha :) I heard they were having some serious sales today. I wanted to pick up a Bass Floor POD but never managed to get up there :meh:

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yeah, I was talking about the price. I couldn't get it today; I just got a 55-02 last week!:eek:

9. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Very true. I've gotten some very good deals from Rhys Johnson at store #440 here in Dallas.

10. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    TB's very own jetpackbassist, out of the Sherman Oaks GC, got me a screaming deal on a 30th Anniversary Stingray. A few PMs back and forth was all it took.

Yeah, maybe GC sometimes has some shopworn gear, and sometimes one can run into a less-than-knowledgable salesman, but I agree with the OP - get to know somebody within the chain that has knowledge and juice, and they can hook you up! When I need a 15, I know who I'll call first.

11. this is a very good point. I've gotten to know some of the guys from my local GC and they have given me some great deals. Given their access to more resources than any other local shop here makes it worth while to shop there.

12. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Congratulations good Doctor. It seems you have been most
    blessed recently with new bass goods.

13. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Way to go Cheese! A great deal and nice color on a really fine
    bass. :)

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    How can I get to know them when they turn over their entire sales staff 4 times a year?

15. BNiedz13

BNiedz13

Mar 6, 2008
    Cumberland, RI
    I hear that. I worked at a GC, quit, went back to shop there less than 6 months after I quit and barely recognized anyone that was working. It is true that you can find good deals if you get to know someone there, it's just so seldom you can find someone who cares more about the music then the commission.