Getting a bass setup

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by kderick, May 19, 2004.

1. kderick

Apr 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I am about to lay some money down on a englehardt swingmaster. Before I hand over the cash, I was curious what a setup would cost? I have looked through the newbie links but have been unable to find any answers. This bass would be brand new. Any help would be great. Also, what is the difference between low and high action? I would like to find that out so I can specify which I would like done. Thanks, Kenny.
  2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Kenny,
    Congrats on your new bass! I understand that the factory setup on the Engles can use a good once-over. The price is really going to depend on the specific needs, but plan on $200-$400 as a s.w.a.g. The best bet is to contact your luthier. If you check out Bob G's Bass Luthier's Directory he lists a bunch of shops in FL for you to check out.
  3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I'm having a setup done on a Christopher and it is in the same ballpark, about 400 bucks. It will/should entail dressing the fingerboard (which has a ding in it), soundpost, bridge adjusters, and strings. My bass isn't new, and has been sitting for a bit, so it will be interesting to see how it plays when it is done.

I second Bob's luthier list. That is how I found the guy near me and it is working out great so far. I think I founf a source for top-notch repairs and lessons all in one spot.

4. kderick

Apr 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Thats was about the price range which I expected. Though I am trying to figure out what type of action I want set on the bass. I am interested in mainly bluegrass, rockabilly, and once I am capable plays some Jazz. If someone could explain the difference I would greatlt apprecitate their help.
  5. kderick

Apr 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    One of my friend's dad is a fiddle player who gave me a name for a luthier in the Orlando area. Sure enough, he was the only luthier in Orlando which was listed on Bob G's page.

Thanks for the advice on the Chrissy. He is selling one which I was thinking about picking up. Though it is a little more than I anticipated on paying. Though Bob G has a good price on a Englehardt Swingmaster. But with the price of shipping and having a professional setup, It begins to be a similar price.
  6. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I play a mixture of swing, rockabilly and bluegrass, and an occasional jazz gig. For the rockabilly and bluegrass stuff especially I like less arch on my bridge then you would see on a bass set up for arco playing. I just recently had one of my basses set up and forgot to mention this to the luthier. So the bass is back in the shop having the bridge arch reduced some. I've found that a flatter bridge arch allows you to get under the g-string a little better if your going to be doing any slap playing. Which if you are playing rockabilly you will be.