1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting a Carbine M9, which Mesa cab is right for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by justinkimmel, Apr 14, 2009.

1. justinkimmel

justinkimmel

Feb 25, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mesa Boogie Amplification
    I've decided to get a Mesa Carbine M9. The next problem is: Which cabinet to go with it?
    I want something versatile that will cut through the mix in a rock/funk setting, but also can handle the dubby reggae/hiphop thing.
    I play a Tokai Jazz bass, and a Guild Starfire. My style is Old-school rock, with some percolating funk, and some dub/hiphop tone thrown in for good measure. Overall, I like a warm sound. I also use effects (envelopes, octaves, synths, etc...)

My choices are:
    Powerhouse 6x10
    Powerhouse 4x10 and 2x10
    Powerhouse 2x12 and 2x10

The two cabinet approach would be nice if I just wanna use one for smaller gigs...
    any suggestions?

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If it's gotta be a Mesa cab, get the 6x10. It'll be more mobile than the 4x10/2x10 if it still has the dolly casters on it (rule).

Otherwise I'd get a Dr. Bass or LDS cab, :) I know I say it a lot but the stuff they are making is just superior in almost every way to the crap you can buy in stores.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The PH410 has way more balls than the PH212.

With the massive M9, I would go for a 4ohmPH410 and an 8ohm PH210. That gives you an amazing modular rig that allows the power of the head to 'adjust' optimally for all three 'rigs', with the least power going to the 8ohm 210 for smaller gigs, higher power into the 4ohm 410 for most gigs, and then uber power at 2.67 ohms with both cabs together for mega momo gigs, with each driver getting the same amount of power.

This is basically the modular version of the PH610, which is also killer.

IMO. These cabs sound GREAT with the M6, so I assume they will with the M9 also.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    ^^^

What he said.
    I had a PH212+PH210 for a while with an M-Pulse 600, and while nice, you couldn't really tell the 210 was even there when played together.

I just got a PH412, so, I say 610 but if you want to go modular the 210+410 makes the most sense.

Enjoy the Boogie Love! :hyper::bassist:

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I think you'd be happy with any combination of Powerhouse cabs. Especially with that head, (though I have yet to try one). I used a 410/210 set up, and moved on to 15's. If I were to get Powerhouse cabs again, I'm pretty sure it would be 2x the 212's. But, that's me. If you can try them out first, that would be a great help in choosing. Good luck.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I have the Powerhouse 610, and it flat out crushes with either a G-K 700rb-II or a G-B NeoPak 3.5 - I can only imagine the kind of damage it could do with either the M6 or M9...

For a single cab solution, the Powerhouse 610 is one of the best available, IMO...

- georgestrins

7. LowBSix

LowBSix Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    MESA cabs are fantastic!
    For versatility and ability to use either cab individually, my choice would be:
    Powerhouse 2x12 and 2x10

8. justinkimmel

justinkimmel

Feb 25, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mesa Boogie Amplification
    Yeah, the 610 is intriguing especially since it would be a few hundred bucks cheaper than the modular setup.
    I just worry that it would be too much for the smaller gigs.
    I'm playing everything from Bars to Bonnaroo.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Remember, you can always turn down, but you can't always turn up! :D

10. LowBSix

LowBSix Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Modular is worth the $200 for smaller gigs... IMHE

11. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I bet we'd all love a gig report when you get your M9!!!

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I used to gig with a 410 and a 210, which isn't all that different than your proposed setup in terms of size and weight - and IME, two cabs like that are much more of a pain in the neck to move around than my single 610... Modular, smodular - take one cab that'll get everything done, and in one trip - since making the switch, I won't be going back...

- georgestrings

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Exactly, and the footprint isn't much bigger than any other cab, so it'll fit in any of the same spaces...

- georgestrings

14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I like the Mesa cab with a 15" in the middle surrounded by 4 10's, one in each corner!! :bassist:

15. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If it will fit in your car, get a PH412 and never look back ... based on the description of your music. It will make you :D

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Yup, I'm with g.s. on this'n.
    After having the 210+212, various 410+212 setups, my last 3 have been one big oaf-
    Henry 8x8 (original w/ blueface Celestions- was AWESOME!), Berg NV425, and now the Powerhouse 412.
    One trip, done and done. :cool:

Plus as I said, it just gives me the excuse to buy a Walkabout Scout 12 or 15 or something... ;)

17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

To clarify my post, the reason I recommended the 210/410 was the fact that the OP said he wanted a modular set-up, and that is a MUCH better match-up than the other modular set-up he was considering (212/210).

I've played the M6 through the Mesa PH610, and it was stunningly, amazingly good. The bad news is, that 610 is just a horse... very deep and big and boxy, and it weighs a ton. That may or may not be an issue for the OP, and I guess it also matters how 'small' his small gigs are. A small club with the same band he typically plays in, no issue. A piano jazz trio... not so much:D

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    C'mon ken, that's why I said the PH412!!! :mad::mad:

:D

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I can't even imagine that. I'll tell you what, if I was in a totally different area of the business (i.e., playing more rock oriented music with a fixed band with help at load in and load out, etc.), I would SERIOUSLY consider the M6/610 rig. It really is good for an aggressive, loud, punchy but full tone, with some nice modern touches (i.e., plenty of deep lows and sparkle up top if you want it).

But man, I thought that 610 was bolted to the floor when I tried to lean it back. I think it's 135 pounds!!!!!!

20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Mine's a svelte 134. :cool:

;)

Just think- if Mesa was still producing their Road Ready line, I'd have a Road Ready Powerhouse 412 in my house right now instead... zomg. :eek: