1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting a new car.. ideas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Nov 26, 2010.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    With graduation coming up, a good bit of guaranteed scholarship money, and a promise my dad made me years ago, a new car is in my near future.

I just honestly don't know what to research and check out. I currently drive a Mazda 3, which pops is taking after all thks goes down, but I want something bigger. Thats where my predicament comes in..

Truck? SUV? Larger car?

I'm also thinking used, solely from being a bass player.. I can get a used car I want for the price of a new car solely because its used. Hard to explain, but hopefully its understandable.

I live in Ohio, and am going to school local, so it must he decent in the snow and rough weather, able to carry all my bass gear, mountain bikes, skis, etc.

Thanks guys/girls!
    J.

2. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    subaru wagons are pretty awesome for reliable, fuel efficient, gear hauling, safe, not too prices, fun, good in snow cars.

3. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Subaru Outback FTW.

4. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I had an old Jeep CJ7 that I loved. Could get that thing into or out of anywhere. Plus it was nice being able to drive in the snow because that usually shuts down areas in Tennessee when it happens.

5. A Mazda 6 hatch sounds just about right for you.

lowsound

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Right now I'm thinking something like a Jeep, Chevy Tahoe or Trailblazer, or going big and getting a F series or Honda Ridgeline. I just don't know..

Or just going big time and getting a Subaru WRX7 or something.

It's a big decision.

7. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Trailblazers are garbage - My Father inlaw's 2003 had 3 transmissions replaced before the odometer hit 6 digits. Electronics were also terrible.

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Knocks that one out of the equation then.

No matter what I get, Im going black on black on black.

9. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    my friend has a one or two year old avalanche that he really likes. Id say you should make a chart with different categories and try to arrange them in order of importance to you.

example....
    mileage
    price
    hauling ability
    snow handling
    appearance

then just find what fits your needs best

10. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I would drive a Ridgeline, but I'm a Honda (and Subaru) fanboy.

11. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    If Pops is paying the bill, get a NEW car and something good on gas mileage.

Use you instinct on what looks good, price, features, reputation, etc. Sure, I am keeping it vague, but do your homework/research and find what's right for you.

12. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    An E46 BMW, preferably a 330xi. It will go through the snow and ice just fine as it's allwheel drive, they aren't expensive, they are super comfortable. Don't let people scare you when they talk about the maintenance, I have found that the cars don't necessarily need crazy amounts of maintenace, but generally the owners are "car people" and they just like to pamper their car.

13. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    A Subie is never a bad choice. AWD, plenty of space, great gas mileage (your going to school, so you definitely want this, trust me) and can get you places a lot of your modern suvs can't. Plus you'll fit in well if you ever come to Colorado.

Plus I promise never to ask to drive it.

14. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    My grandfather owned a german auto shop for 30 years.... his feelings on the repair bills for bmw? we'll just say that he currently own a nissan and a chevy camaro.
    Dont get me wrong.... bmw makes one hell of a car but the bills can be a little much compared to other makes. Also i cant imagine a 3 series hauling much gear.

15. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Yeah they are a bit much, but none of the common problems are out of reach of a good DIYer. I have fit a '69 Ampeg 215 and B25 head and 2 basses in mine. :D

16. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    very true sir.... and that is a hell of a fit for that car lol.. my best fits were an eden410, 4 space rack, eden 210, two hardshell cases in a 91 camaro.

17. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Now that is an accomplishment haha :bassist:

18. Nix the Jeeps and Tahoe if you plan on paying for your own gas. You WILL be sorry if you don't, lol. I've got a Hyundai Santa Fe and it's sweet. Not the sexiest vehicle around but it feels really roomy and is more than adequate for even large bass rigs.

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    While my Nissan Pathfinder has given me 306,000 trouble free miles (still not burning oil) I'm with the Subaru guys on this one. I'm lucky if I get 19 on the hwy, and the Trailblazers, Cherokees and Exploders are no better. The sad thing is, neither are the compact true SUV's like the Xterras, and FJ Toyotas. The truck based SUV's suck gas, and gas isn't going to be getting any cheaper. If I could buy anything today my first choice would be a Subaru Outback. I can't imagine any weather you couldn't get through with one. They actually have pretty good off road cred. The other alternatives worth a look are the CRV, Element, Rav 4 and maybe the Ford Escape (car based) which gets better millage, but not near as good as the other choices.

20. NEVER get a new car as your first. It's just a bad idea unless you have thousands to potentially waste. As a new driver I can almost guarantee that some kind of damage will be done to the car (knock a mirror of, kiss someones bumper, bust up the sides a bit) so why get a brand new vehicle just to beat it up? Used nowadays can be extremely effective if your smart and Jordan is plenty smart.