Getting back in the saddle

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by keltik, Feb 28, 2006.

1. keltik

Aug 17, 2004
    I've been messing with the old bass guitar for about five years now. I have no formal training/instruction and I have never played in a band. I now feel like I am at a crossroads in my bass playing adventure. I haven't really done anything with the old bass in over a year due to work and struggling with a long distance relationship. I guess what I'm looking for is some advice on how to keep playing/enjoying this wonderful instrument.

Notes: My skill level is relatively low (i know Practice, Practice, Practice) and I live in a small area in South Carolina so finding other musicians especially drummers is seemingly diffcult.

Just looking for some advice to find enjoyment in this endeavor again......Otherwise I have some gear to sell.

2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY what I do...

Find some songs you like, and start playing along...:D
  3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

That's a pretty good idea. We set up a wishlist CD for the
    band, some easy songs, some high reach songs and I
    have really enjoyed working on 15 - 20 new songs. It really
    breathed some new life into my playing.

I didn't realize that my music selection was getting stale.
  4. keltik

Aug 17, 2004
    thank you both!
  5. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Find your closest music store, get a teacher, and take some lessons. I can't tell you how much that will help. Use part of your time to practice scales and drill he will have you do, and save some time to play along with your CDs. It will provide you with both the techniques to play well and be fun simultaneously.

Most of all..............enjoy the instrument.

Good luck.
  6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    +1 million

No matter what your skill level is, theres always more to learn. I recently started taking lessons again for the exact same reason...weeks were passing and i wasn't playing my bass. Now I'm playing every day again. Plus, I feel like I have to practice...Since I know I'm going to get asked how much I practiced next week.;)
  7. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I was kinda like you...i played pretty well thou and practiced alot and am a good to decent player. You must somehow find others to play was key for opened up doors to music i never would of known. Place flyers in local bars or music stores Cd /Record stores see if anyone where you work plays or knows someone who might have to travel a bit but its worth it.