1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting back into the game, was disappointed with Squire MJB.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sef, Oct 30, 2010.

1. sef

sef

Oct 24, 2010
    I haven't played in about 15 years and got the bug again. I haven't been to any music stores lately, just reading online about basses and checking out the looks.

I was interested in the Squier MJB based on the good reviews and how it looked based on what I saw online. Finally got to Guitar Center today and checked one out. I didn't know they had that much of a sheen on them and it was heavier than what I would have liked. Played nice but it wasn't for me. :bawl:

I'm only 5-8 and a buck fiddy. I am leaning towards the Ibanez SR600. It just felt right in my hands, but like I said I was pumped to check out the MJB but it wasn't to be. I was bummed a bit I would have to spend more for the Ibanez but it is what it is.

Cool story huh? :scowl:

2. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Did you have a chance to try any of the slightly lower end SRs? They might fit the bill as well, but be a bit closed in price to the Squier.

3. sef

sef

Oct 24, 2010
    I've been away from the game for so long I'm not really familiar with everything yet price wise etc. It's like I'm a beginner again. The Ibanez is 549.00 if I'm thinking right. The Squier was 299.00.

Since they have layaway I can handle that. Not sure about a lower end one. I'm the type when like most others, when that one feels right you want it. But I was bummed out because I was hyped on the Squier by what I read online.

4. sef

sef

Oct 24, 2010
    Sorry, this has been beaten to death about being a smaller guy with a bigger bass. I didn't realize there were alot of topics on this. I started looking around here and see there are alot of them about this subject.

My bad. :bag:

5. What kind of bass were you playing previously?

Gale

6. sef

sef

Oct 24, 2010
    I started with a Cort then surprise! I bought an Ibanez (probably why I am leaning towards that). I can't remember the actual model of either though. It's been too long.

7. I'm not a fan of Squiers. I would go with the Ibanez.

8. sef

sef

Oct 24, 2010
    What don't you like about the Squires? And what do you like about the Ibanezizzz? :D

9. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Maybe you should try one of the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz. The few I've played are quite nice and fairly light.

10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    You might also consider an Ibanez SR500 4-string:

SR500BM.

They sound darn good and are ridiculously light. You can find new ones for $500 and used ones usually go four around $300.

11. sef

sef

Oct 24, 2010
    I can google this but this is where I am new to this again. The one I saw today was an RS600. What is the difference between a 500 and 600? You can throw in a 300 to boot also.

12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    SR600 has an ash body and black hardware, while the 500 has a mahogany body and Cosmo chrome (smoke gray) hardware. The 300 has an agathis body, Ibanez pickups (rather than Bartolini), maple neck (rather than jatoba/bubinga), cheaper hardware, and Style Sweeper EQ (rather than the 3 band EQ). If you can afford it, the SR500 & 600 are the nicer basses. Having played all of these (except the 600), I think the 300 is nicer than the Squier VM Jazz, which just sounded dead (compared to my Jazz basses).

13. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    As was said above the 500 and 600 are almost identical except for body wood. The mahogany should give a warmer tone and the ash should give a brigther/punchier tone, but that all depends on the quality of the preamp and the kind of strings used on each. Either one would be a great bass for you. I'm partial to the 600 'cause I like natural ash.

14. sef

sef

Oct 24, 2010
    What would flatwounds sound like on a 500 or 600 bass?

15. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    That depends on the flatwounds. I prefer either Sadowsky flats or TI Flats. The Sadowsky's have a very balanced tone that sounds very similar to a broken in roundwound minus the finger squeak. Either of these brands of flats would sound great on either of those basses - probably better on the 600. Chromes would sound good as well.

16. sef

sef

Oct 24, 2010
    When I played I was a teen and just bought a bass and played it not getting into the technical part of it. Now getting into it again and wanting to learn about different types of wood and strings etc, you are very helpful along with the others that posted.

I thank you and this site.