1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting lost in the mix?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by funkt_up, Nov 24, 2010.

1. funkt_up

funkt_up

Sep 29, 2009
    Hi All,

I'm having a bit of problem with getting the full range of my bass to cut through playing live (root notes up to 5th come across fine, melodic fills not so much..) I use a Fender precision with maple neck and a violin pick up and SG bass pick up added going straight into a trace elliot 15" combo (300W) 7215 i think (amp is in storage) ive put this in effects as i was thinking maybe its a compression issue?

Thanks in advance

2. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    How much have you played with the EQ on your amp?
    Increasing the mids on your amp can help your bass be heard better in the mix. The next time you're with your band, play with your EQ settings.

It may not even be an issue of your tone, though. It can also be effected by what notes your playing in the mix. Are you just playing along with the root notes of chords? The content of your playing will effect how well your bass is picked out of a mix.

3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Yes, mids, mids, mids. Also, using a 15, you may be big in the back of the room and less so up where you need to hear it.

4. +1 to all of the above.

Mids are your friends.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    In the end, you may just need more amp, and certainly more speakers.

6. g_familia

g_familia

Nov 23, 2010
    ehx steel leather could help you out a bit here. i don't use it b/c it can be a bit too clangy and bring out more funk than suits the music i play, but try it out. sounds a bit errrrr on it's own, but in the mix it can help you cut through on the fills and melodic moving lines.

7. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Provider Supporting Member

+1