1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting my first pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SevenJacks, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Get the Zoom B3

68 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Anything but the Zoom B3

11 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Save your money, pedals are for noobs

35 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Get a higher quality single pedal (like a compressor etc.)

86 vote(s)
    31.2%
  5. Get a few, cheaper single pedals

28 vote(s)
    10.1%
  6. Use the 'search' function for gods' sake

48 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Gentlemen and ladies,
    I have been playing out for about 2 years now in a local cover band and I have never owned a pedal. I'm setting some money aside this week for my first pedal purchase. I will use about $200.

The Zoom B3 really intrigues me. Would this be a good 'all in one' to start with or would I get more out of some single pedals?

Thanks all :)

***UPDATE***
    So I pulled the trigger on the B3 and WOW this thing can do a lot. I'm also a novice pedal guy so I'm sure there are some holes that I don't see yet but WOW it's fun!

'Fun' being the operative word at the moment. I see a few sounds I could use but for the most part it will be a fun thing for home learning and experimenting.
    One thing I didn't expect was how the different effects make you play 'different' ways and makes you think differently. It's really great for 'mind expanding'.

Thanks all for the advice! I think I will post in a while about the Zoom in one of the respective threads when I get more comfortable with it. In the meantime, this thing will give me a ton to learn about. I can now see why people talk about high quality single pedals like Octavers and such because it seems like some of those effects can 'stutter' every once in a while, so that must be the tracking?
    Anyways, thanks everyone :)

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

A multi is a good starting point for someone who's never owned effects, unless you specifically know what you want. And who knows, you might get anything you really want and your search will have ended there . I started on a crappy Zoom B1 and it helped a lot, so I'm sure the B3 is a decent unit. Others will chime in with different point of views, so wait a few hours and you'll get a variety of good suggestions.

:)

3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    A multy unit is a great way to explore the world of FX. Get what you can afford to start off and find out what you like and/or don't like. If you decide to be a full fledged FX guy, you can always upgrade to higher end singles pedals.

have fun

4. If it were me I would start out with a few basic individual pedals of low to moderate cost. Think of things you will actually use to enhance your sound. A compressor, some type of OD/fuzz/distortion and maybe a chorus pedal would be a good place to start. As far as the dirt pedal goes you will also need to decide how heavy you want it to be. Do you like a milder, warm tube type OD or heavy distortion.

5. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Single pedals generally are better for specific sounds.
    I have singles and a B3 on my board.
    The B3 is good at Chorus, Phaser, Flanger, Delay, Tremolo/Slicer, Reverb.
    It can also do decent synth sounds. It has a Bit Crusher that is cool.
    I don't use them but the amp sims are neat, as are the preamp pedals.
    Being able to have 3 at a time in patch is really awesome. Either 3 for one big sound, or 3 that you use at different points in your set. I have patches set-up for 3 effects that I can use in 2 or 3 different songs.
    The other benefits of the B3 are great tuner, drum patterns for practicing, headphone use (quiet practice), the DI is pretty good, computer connectivity is good.
    Is it perfect? No. The pitch shifting is just okay, I don't care for OD/Fuzz/Distortion from the unit.
    But, for $200, it can't be beat. With you being in a cover band, it should be really handy to you. The B3 and some sort of Dirt pedal, and you have a LOT of ground covered.

6. I have never played through anything except the P.A. so architecting a signature tone is something I have never done. I have a little Peavey practice amp at home and that's it...

7. I would go with a couple low-mid priced pedals that you like the look of. Hit up manufacturers websites and Youtube, work out what you do and don't like the sound of with regards to effects (ie do you like the sound of fuzz or flangers or wah). I personally started out with an EHX Bass Big Muff Pi and a Dunlop 105q Bass Wah. Both are now gone but I'm very happy that I had them as I now know what I'm looking for in the way of effects and what sounds I would like them to add.

8. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    If you are intrigued by the B3 then by all means go for it.
    If you have no experience with effects at this point a affordable multi is a very sensible choice.

Like Bassmike63 I also started with a cheap Zoom multi. (I thought it was the 602 back then, ? too lazy to look it up cause I forgot.) And it led to a collection of over 60 pedals and other gear (over 13 years).

I would suggest the cheapest Zoom multi available... but if you can afford the B3 then do it.

So I would recommend the cheape

9. Specifically what type of music is your cover band playing?

10. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Wow the Zoom should be a blast then. You will have a lot to explore if you go that route. Effects can be really inspiring. I have gone direct to the PA with my B3 once, and the soundguy commented on how good it sounded.

4 months ago, I would have said individuals only. The B3 has made not as much of a cork sniffer about effects. I still use some individual pedals, but really the crowd can't really tell the difference between the chorus on the B3 or an individual stomp box one.

11. +1 I did the same.

12. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I am going to be the odd one out and say you definitely should NOT buy a zoom pedal. They are good fun, mind you, though controlling them is a bit dodgy. In my opinion you should get one good drive pedal, because you will need one at a certain point in your playing.

Also, buy secondhand!

13. I propose a 2 step approach:

First: Pick up a B3. It will help you figure out what effects are practical and which ones you use regularly. It is also a great practice/recording tool.

Second: When you figure out your essential effects, if you so desire, you can try and acquire the high-end, single pedal versions of those. You will likely always have a use for a B3.

I have owned their B2, B2.1u and B9.1ut pedals and now the B3. It's great. It's the only thing I have on the floor and it does me just fine. I'm not using it for crazy distortions and all that insanity. I use it for more subtle effects, like compression, thickening up my EUB, a little old-school dirt and for eq'ing for strange backline setups. IT also sits on my desk as a USB I/O for practicing.

14. I would get a single pedal, but probably something more fun than a compressor. I'd get either an overdrive, to help with crunchy rock tones, or an envelope filter, for funky stuff, depending on what most of the covers you play are.

I mean unless you really want some nice transparent compression, but personally it was a long time before I could appreciate compression on my bass. Note that I don't use compression as an effect, I like clean transparent compression for how it sweetens and fattens up my tone, but I can live without it. So take my opinion with that grain of salt.

15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I'd start with a good single pedal of at least Boss or EHX Quality. Probably not a compressor at first, unless you specifically need it to protect your speakers from loud slap/pop transients.

What pedal to start with depends a lot on your genre. If you are into grunge, punk, rock or metal you will probably get the most use out of distortion or fuzz.

If you are into funk, you might want an envelope filter or synth.

If you do a lot of solo/ambient mellow stuff like I do, then you mignt want a chorus/delay/reverb type pedal

Whatever you choose, good luck.

16. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    I would definitely start with a multi like the B3.

17. neuman

neuman

Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO 'burbs
    I started with a Digitech Bass Driver and Digitech MultiChorus. Good strating point for me but I have picked up many single pedals and own a Zoom B3.

I am inclined to say go the B3 route to find what effects you like, don't like and want to explore more before heading to single pedals. Some of the B3 effects are good, some not-so but all give you an idea of what sounds are out there..

As previously mentioned the B3 is a cool practice tool and will be utilized well into the future as you add other effect pedals.

18. Aureus

Aureus

Apr 17, 2012
    Europe
    A B3 is good choice imo, though I don't own one. But when I started Bass there weren't that swiss-army-knife type of pedals in a 200$ range. For starting with effects, I think it is okay. You will learn what you want and like on an effect and for some smaller cover band gigs, that pedal is okay too. If you someday switch to single pedals or whatever, you still can use the b3 for home recording, training, bedroom sessions and all that home stuff. Or band practice to not always carry a whole board ...

A single effect from that you know that suits your style and play and sound can easy cost you 200-400$. So a B3 is great start into that materia imo.

Here is a big Zoom B3 thread in the effects section too, where many TBers talk the pedal and most of hem seem to really enjoy it.

19. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Multi FX as the entry door to FX FTW!!!!!!!

And the B3 is good. Check the classifieds. ALWAYS buy used from there. You save a ton and if you don't dig it, you can flip it without losing much money (after a donation to TB).

In fact.....my Line 6 M5 and Zoom B3 may be in there shortly. I dig them, but don't need them.

20. Aureus

Aureus

Apr 17, 2012
    Europe
    I know ... off-topic, but I would really love to know your opinion about what is better on the m5 and what on the b3 and vice versa.