1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting position from music notation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by progrmr, Apr 19, 2010.

1. +1 on that.... And, screw someone else's idea of a "pattern" - learn the notes on your instrument, read the music, logic and efficiency will dictate the rest - it'll give ya a headache at first but hey - if it don't kill ya....

-PE

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i will return the +1 to you, dude. 100% agreed. patterns get you into trouble. there will come a time you won't be able to use one of your patterns to play something and it'll throw you into a tizzy. seen it happen a million times.

3. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    I think patterns serve a good purpose as efficient ways of maneuvering around the instrument, but knowing where everything is in relation to your patterns is key so you don't get lost if you go outside of said patterns.

4. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    ^^^^^^^^
    Azureblue said it all.

5. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Where would you play the E in measure 7? If you play it on the D string, you have a big jump to the D in the next measure. If you play it on the 7th fret of the A string, you are already in position to play that D in measure 8. As Azureblue said, the key is reading ahead. Position is often dictated not by the note that you are playing at the moment, but by the notes that you need to play in the next couple of measures.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The big advantage of standard notation is that it doesn't include "instrument-specific" information - so could be played on any instrument! :)

So - your written bass line could be played on Double Bass, Bass Trombone, Tuba, Bass Clarinet, Piano etc etc. and nothing would need to be changed! :)

As soon as you put in things like positions - you lose that big advantage!

7. Thanks for all the advise. At this point in my musical journey I'm happy with first position. Why? Well at 75 and less than a year on the bass my plate is pretty full. I'm happy to be holding my on in a Country band. I understand there is a better way, and I'll keep it in mind.

Appreciate the comments .......

Happy trails.

8. fmoore60

fmoore60

Jun 11, 2008
    Jonestown, PA
    JimmyM is wise! I agree with this, you need to read every day to stay up and progress. If it is frustrating right now, good, that means you are thinking. I have played for 30 years and still find it challenging at times. Always pick a piece just past your ability and work on it, you will surprise yourself. Remember Tab is a suggestion for position, if you feel comfortable at a certain part of the neck use that. At practice make yourself work from a different position. KEEP Playing!:D

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    RE Malcom's example. I' with Jimmy (and his JB/Devo self). Glancing at the exercise on my phone shows that the highest looks to be the D and there's nothing lower than the A (scrolling back to verify ain't easy so I could be wrong). That puts it very neatly in 5th position.

What you gain by playing it there instead of at the first fret is easy and fluid access to the high notes. Always starting in open positions hampers your options. I reiterate- look through the selection and note the extremes first. Then work out what transitions are important. Don't use preconceived limits.

John

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    75? wow, congratulations for taking up something new!

11. But that D can also be played at the 5th fret of the A string.
    Personally I try to avoid too many open frets. Out in the world, at least around here, someone always wants to change the key on you. If you haven't "learned" open frets you can slide the whole mess up or down the neck and change keys without much effort at all.