Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting rosin off guts

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by JimmyM, Jul 1, 2005.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've been doing a lot of practice with the bow recently, and I have some stubborn rosin that won't come off the gut strings. It comes off the Eudoxas OK but not the guts. Can anyone recommend something to get the rosin off the guts?

2. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    You can use denatured alcohol on a cloth or paper towel and it will come right off. Don't use so much that you drip any of the alcohol on the finish since it may severely damage it.
    You can put a little sweet almond oil on the strings, but wipe off any excess especially where you bow. If you get a little piece of the gut coming loose from the string clip it with a nail clipper.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Thanks Martin...will try that tonight after I practice.

4. If you don't have any almond oil around, try rubbing the meat of a Brazil nut on the guts after cleaning.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I hear there's a lot of coffee down there.

6. Such alotta........

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

We had a rep from a local coffee vendor in the office the other day as we were switching services. She thought she was quite clever when she starting playing that tune at the sample serving table.

She was quite surprised when not only did I know the lyrics but told her that I actually prefer the Rosemary Clooney version.

As for the Brazil nut thing, I have heard Mr. P suggest it several times. All I have to say is this:

I have spent many a holiday season tediously picking away at those shells trying to procure the smallest morsel of meat from a Brazil nut. They taste very good. If and when I ever get one out of the shell in tact, I'll be damned if I rub it on bass string! I'm eating it.

8. Chas,
    If ya wanna eat 'em and rub 'em, buy the mixed cocktail tins.

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Mixed cocktail twins!? Every bassist's dream, I suppose.

10. Stop it now...we're about to reach a new low. :eyebrow:

Ray, I said tins...not twins.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I guess the "eat 'em and rub 'em" bit got me a little off balance and I misread the rest of the sentence.

Uhyup.