1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GEWA "Rolly" prestige gigbag vs endpin wheel

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Nohrellas, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Nohrellas

Nohrellas

May 11, 2016
    Vienna
    I might actually be playing gigs fairly soon on upright bass so my bass will need to leave my comfortable apartment for the first time. There are many options out there so I'd like to get some recommendations and feedback before spending 200€+ on a solution.

First up, I'll be using public transport. I know it'll be a pain for me and for everyone who is travelling alongside me but that's just the way it is. So not only do I need to carry/roll the bass for some distances but I also need it to be able to stand on its own or only require minimal support from me ideally.

My options include the bass buggy, but my teacher has advised me against getting it since he thinks it's too expensive and clunky wheras an endpin wheel works just fine and can be stashed in the gigbag if not needed. He has used it for years and it hasn't caused him any issues so far.

That said an endpin wheel will be tricky and annoying on the subway/train or on the bus. I assume you'd remove it before you enter and just hold the bass during transport? Then leave with the bass and put on the wheel again?

The last option I've found is this gigbag from GEWA for just over 200€ with included wheels.
    https://gewabags.com/product/24512/gewa-double-bass-gig-bag-prestige.html
    They seem like the kind of wheels you have on large suitcases or other luggage items. It also claims that it is reinforced along the enpin and the scroll but I couldn't find any pictures from the inside of the gigbag. This seems like a really nice all in one solution for me but I'd like to hear from people who have used it or gigbags/cases like it before.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I've been schlepping the bass around NYC since 1979 via public transit. The gig bag with wheels is the worst possible choice.The design puts all the stress on the rib, and the built-in wheels are so small that they're useless on anything but the smoothest surface. The buggie takes some getting used to, but has the advantage of staying on while you're on train or bus; it also balances itself to a certain extent. The wheel is more maneuverable, but needs to be removed before boarding. I use both, with the buggie being the first choice, unless there's snow on the ground or lots of rough terrain. If you decide on the wheel, don't skimp. Get the kind with an inflatable tire and axle that is attached on both sides.

Gaines Bass Wheel

Not this type:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/orc...nA74TI8AffJmv1JAzaT2sSjYxZGzGWrxoCyf0QAvD_BwE

3. +1 for the above advised and another vote for the Bass Buggie.
    The bag with wheels ain’t really a great solution.

Nohrellas likes this.
  4. Another vote to avoid this case - those wheels specifically.

Nohrellas likes this.
  5. Nohrellas

Nohrellas

May 11, 2016
    Vienna
    Thanks for the quick replies, since you all agree with my bass teacher (except on the bass buggie) I think I'll go with the endpin wheel after all. Both options available through thomann have a proper inflatable tire, but the xeros seems sturdier built. The question is if that warrants more than double the pricetag.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.thomann.de/at/dick_bassrad.htm
    https://www.thomann.de/at/xeros_bass_wheel_10mm.htm

I have no attachment to either brand, but I'll look for reviews on them.

For the actual gigbag I found this roth & junius bag (one of thomanns in-house brands as far as I know) which seems well padded.
    https://www.thomann.de/at/roth_junius_bsb_03_3_4_gg_bass_soft_bag.htm

6. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    The first wheel pictured has the axle supported on only one side; this design makes it prone to metal fatigue causing the wheel to end up at an angle and possibly break entirely. Do yourself a favor and buy the Xeros. My 20+ year-old Gaines wheel (the Xeros looks like a knockoff) is on its third tire. Also, bridge-forward is the way to go with a wheel.

The gig bag you linked to looks fine; just don't be tempted to use the backpack straps unless you have a long walk outdoors where it might make sense to use them instead of the wheel. People tend to forget how far the bass is sticking up and can catch the top on a doorframe, leading to falling backwards onto the bass, making a very expensive noise.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  7. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I prefer my wheels like I prefer my fondness for...(NSFW)...in Pairs!
    IMG_3834.JPG

8. ... well, I have the Xeros wheel as well. It’s certainly one of the better wheels out there, especially with the inflatable tire. I leave mine very under inflated for shock absorbtion.

One modification to the Xeros that I’ve seen is a kick brake that attaches to the wheel and stops it from rolling.
    I think this would greatly add to its functionality!

End of the day though, I love my Buggie!

9. If you want an endpin wheel, get one with a brake.

I prefer my homemade bass buggie clone (not cheaper until you got it the right way) or the original bass buggie. You need to get used to maneuvering with it but can stay at the bass in public transport. If I have to leave the bass for a short time or take more than a short trip I secure it with a strap too.

There are different opinions what kind of stress does more harm to the bass (endpin wheel: lower block might come loose, buggie: separation of the top from the ribs can take place).
    You might want to take that in account too.

10. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I've used a wheel for 30+ years and a Buggie for about 3; no damage to the bass from either. just use common sense-don't run off curbs with either without taking up most of the weight; watch out for cracks and rough areas that might catch the wheel/Buggie and cause a sudden halt to forward progress; keep the tire inflated enough to roll easily, but not rock hard so that it is unable to absorb bumps-about 10-12 PSI for the Gaines wheel.

11. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    The dictum wheel looks plenty sturdy to me, and you can buy a string with the savings!

12. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Actually, the Dictum wheel is bigger too. 200x50 as opposed to 150x30 for the Xeros. I'd definitely go with the former.

13. Nohrellas

Nohrellas

May 11, 2016
    Vienna
    I went with the dictum in the end, I'm testing it out on Monday so that'll be interesting.

14. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I hope it holds up.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019 at 10:40 AM