1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ghostlines vs. Inlaid ghostlines

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by avid, Apr 4, 2006.

1. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Any pictures in TB land of the difference between these two ways of marking a fretless fretboard. I have searched everywhere I can think of, to no avail. I have seen pictures of what I think are the white inlaid ghostlines on a G & L but regular ghostlines, no. TIA

David

2. Please, expand upon this. I sorta thought the two were one and the same. How can you have ghostlines that aren't inlaid? If they're not inlaid, then they are above the fretboard's surface, and they have a name for that; a fretted neck! ;)

3. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Beats me, that's why I am asking. I am looking at the G & L options web page that says under the heading "other neck options."

Fretless Bass Neck available in three variations:
    * without ghostlines
    * with ghostlines
    * with white inlayed ghostlines

Fretless bass fingerboard available in Ebony only.

David

4. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I really hope someone can answer this because this is precisely the kind of esoteric question that will keep me up at night.

It's really bugging me so I guess I'll go play my blank plank fretless L2K to distract me. :p

Cheers,
    Chris

5. I believe the ghostlines are painted on before the finish is applied, whereas the inlaid lines are actual pieces of bone or plastic set into slots on the fingerboard and sanded flush with the ebony board.

6. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hmmm... I'd like to see a pic of these painted ghost lines.

Since there is no finish on an ebony board, I'm curious how this would work.

Cheers,
    Chris

7. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Chris,

I hope you are getting some sleep since this esoteric question has yet to be answered. Hang in there bro' I hope help is on the way.

David

8. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    :)

Actually, I'm not, but it's because of chemistry and calculus homework in addition to being the father of 2.5 year old and
    7 month old boys. ;)

I really would like to know what the difference is though. I wasn't really joking on that point.

Cheers,
    Chris

9. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    My (___, ____, _____, ______) or whatever gives you strength be with you. Anyone one of those is a challenge by itself, let alone together. Now tell me you practice bass for 2 hours a day for relaxation. Hey, but a least spring is hitting here on the Left Coast, finally.

I sent a PM to the owner of a Bass shop, who sells G & L, asking for his help with this question. Hopefully he knows the answer.

David

10. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    Inlaid white ghostlines are exactly what they sound like - inlaid white lines on the fingerboard. Ghostlines are a little strange but cool - the fingerboard is slotted for the inlaid lines and left that way. You can see them while you're playing but you can't really see them from a distance.

11. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Guitarman,

Thanks for helping us out on this. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of G & L basses with the ghostlines? It's very clear how they are made, thanks to your explanation, but how light or dark that would end up looking isn't clear to me. Thanks again!

David

12. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Interesting... I've never seen ghostlines in the wild, but they do sound cool.

Cheers,
    Chris

13. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    I've only ever seen ghostlines in person once. Nobody orders them like that. The last one I saw was a late 90's L2500 Custom that we ordered for someone when I was working at Manny's.

14. I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread here. I've been looking everywhere for pics of a ghostlined fretless and can't seem to find pics ANYWHERE :help:

I'm looking to buy a G&L fretless, but before I do, I'd like to see pics of ghostlines.

Anyone have pics of this :) ?

15. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hmmm... I hadn't ever seen an example before in 2006 and here in 2008 I still haven't seen one. :cool:

I'd love to see a pic as well.

Cheers,
    Chris

16. aikakone

aikakone

Jan 27, 2008
    Louisiana
    I want to know, too! I've seen the picture of the bass BassXgirl wants to buy, and it's smokin' hot! It's the lines that were making us both wonder and leaving me in suspense even if I'm not the one buying the bass!

I guess I feel nosey. She's the one who helped me get my Spector. :)

17. i believe it was bass central that used to have one... back when they were over in Maitland. very cool. probably tough to see on a dark stage, tho.

18. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Post the picture. :eyebrow:

I've seen a picture once. It was just as Matt said.
    Jim

19. I'll definately be posting pics of it once I get it :hyper:

The lines do sound pretty cool, and I'll probably end up ordering it with the ghostlines. Still, I'd just feel better about it, if I could see a pic first.

::Still looking for pics:: :ninja:

P.S. If i find a pic, I'll definately post it here for the others who are also curious about them.

20. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    It may be moot. G&L no longer does ebony except for unlined fretless. :bawl::bawl::crying:

They had to make many extra necks for the BABP LE and it was too much waste so they stopped offering it.

Something about the current ebony doesn't endure fret slot cutting well.

Sorry. I really wanted one like this.....
    NAMM018.

I got a nekkid wunkay instead...
    Bassshots004.