Giant Steps "Explained"

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Well. If you've ever found yourself unable to figure out how Coltrane's Giant Steps is built, there's no reason to listen to the record and struggle. No sirree, you just take your browser right over to The Answer Spot and press the "play" button at the bottom. Soon, it will all be clarified . . .

What I really dig is how he doubled up all the ii chords so it would look more like a pyramid. He's just makin' sure that you catch the point . . . even if the point ain't there.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I played all my best quadratone **** at my last gig, and had to fight the women off all break. Man, if only I'd known about this site when I was still single!
  3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    The graphical display really shows which type of progression (ditone or quadratone) is happening at a particular moment if you watch the direction it goes from Key center to key center. Clockwise is quadratone, CCW is ditone. Super cool!!! Thanks Sam!
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Thanks, Sam, next time I play Giant Steps, I'll be seeing all those flashing triangles in my mind. Better throw some Ibuprofen in the gig bag.
  5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Thats very cool for a jazz wanna be like me.