1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson 3pt replacement bridge..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mr.mow, Jan 10, 2012.

1. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Before some says 'get a supertone'.. I don't like em!!

Anyone seen a source for genuine Gibson 3pt bridges in chrome? I know Allparts has one, but I'm after genuine.. (new T-Bird has black hardware.. I no like black!)

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Get a Su.....never mind.
    I have seen take-offs on eBay for ok prices.

3. I scored the real deal from eBay awhile back. Put it on this:

DSCN6919.

It seems the same bridges are often used for both Gibson and Epiphone products. Don't assume that because it's stamped "Epiphone" on the bottom that it didn't come off a Gibson product.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just out of curiosity, why don't you like them?

5. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    They just seem a whole lot of unnecessary fussiness.. The 3pt looks classic, looks clean and elegant, works just fine and sounds just fine to me.. It just works for me.

The super.. Looks hideous and the couple I've fitted have made no real difference in sound or playability.. I can get a great playing setup with the stock bridge really.

My new t bird is all black hardware, I want chrome

6. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    It seems the same bridges are often used for both Gibson and Epiphone products. Don't assume that because it's stamped "Epiphone" on the bottom that it didn't come off a Gibson product.

there actually is a difference in the spacing between the studs, iirc.

mr mow, you could always have the black bridge chrome plated.

7. 96tbird

The OLD Gibson bridge plate is radiused, while the Epi plate is flat with saddles of differing heights. As.far as I know this hasn't changed.

8. Interesting info about the bridges. I removed a stock black bridge from the late 90's Gibson T Bird pictured above. Much to my surprise, it was stamped "Epiphone" on the bottom. The chrome replacement I purchased on eBay was also stamped "Epiphone" on the bottom and had identical dimensions and configuration to the black one. At any rate, great bridge, functions perfectly. I also toyed with the Hipshot, which is a great system, quite versatile, but I agree with OP, it's unattractive. Kinda bulky, not a good look, and I wasn't convinced it was that much of an improvement.

9. 96tbird

Yeah, about the only advantage I see in the Hipshot is the intonation screws being at the tail and the saddles don't drop out. The Gibby/Epi bridges are a bit fiddly in this respect, but they work fine and they look way cool, IMHO.

10. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Ok.. a kind person has donated to me a Gibby bridge (thanks man!).. but..
    Comes without the body studs (easily replaced, same as a gibson guitar tail piece)..

The problem is that little front bolt, the smaller 'angle adjust' one.

Anyone seen a replacement for this?