1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson EB 6 alternative

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirty_harry, Mar 22, 2013.

1. dirty_harry

dirty_harry

Mar 22, 2013
    Hey everyone. Recently I saw this on youtube

I was thinking about buying fender vi before, but this bass just blew me away. I play electric guitar and I was looking for something, that didn't sound exactly like bass, but more like a heavy low guitar. And EB-6 is that guitar. Warm deep sound, very thin neck, just what I need. The only problem is that it costs over 10k$. I was looking for an alternative, but all of them (fender vi, Hellcat, Agile Argus etc) just don't sound anything like EB-6. Help me to find a way out. Is there anything close to this particular bass? I was also thinking about buying EB-0 or some other short scale bass and transforming it into EB-6. What will I need for this and what problems I might face? Has anyone done this before? I'm looking for the exact tone and if you can give me any advice that would be really helpful.

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I prefer the later, SG-shaped version.

Buy an Argus VI, purchase a PAF repro, rout the body, drop it in. If you wanna stick with the hollowbody vibe, buy a Danelectro VI and drop in the PAF.

3. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Moonshine Astro Bass IV (semi-hollow, Dano inspired construction):
    100_3923.

Twang city, but I was surprised at how cool this sounds through an over-driven tube amp...

Also available with two or three lipstick tube pickups (I like the look of one pickup myself). P90's are an option as well as a standard humbucker (I am currently working on a deal with TV Jones Pickups).

Moonshine :bassist:

4. dirty_harry

dirty_harry

Mar 22, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. And will it be a stupid idea if I baught an EB-0 and then transformed it into EB-6? I thaugh it would be quite easy and would give me that sound. Am I wrong?

5. I'd be looking for a (hollowbody) baritone, then have a new nut cut for bigger strings and get it intonated as well.

That EB6 cant be more than 27-28 inches scale.
    Though I am thinking 90% of that tone is the mudbucker.

6. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    What a tool in the vid, plugging a tic tac bass into a guitar amp.

7. change-jug

change-jug

Oct 11, 2008
    Buffalo,NY
    EB-6 is super rad! I just bought a pawn shop bass vi because I`ve been wanting a bass vi type forever. I`m super happy with mine.

Anywho,I don`t see why buying a Epi EB-0 and modding it wouldn`t work. Change the nut from 4 to 6 slots.Take out the 4 tuners,fill up the peg holes then redrill 6 new ones and put in new tuners. Then change out that bass mudbucker for a real Gibson PAF. Last,restring it with a set of bass vi strings and should be good to go.

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    EB-6 is 30" scale.
    EB-6 didn't come with a "mudbucker", but regular PAFs.

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    I hope you've considered how tight the string spacing would be at the nut, the Epi EB-O has a fairly narrow nut.

I wanted a 6-string bass since the late 70s, I didn't get my first 'til 1990 but I've owned several since, are you sure you will "get along" with a VI? They'e a different kind of instrument.

10. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I built up a 6 using an old Prestige guitar body and bridge, Danelectro bass VI neck, and GFS retro-something humbuckers. It roars through a tube guitar head and my bass 4X10 cab. I think Allparts has the necks with tuners, was pretty affordable. I had to adjust the neck pocket and move the Jag type bridge/tailpiece back, but it came out great.