1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Gothic Thunderbird or Blackbird..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blekfeht, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Blekfeht

Blekfeht

Jan 20, 2013
    ..why are these so hard to find? Where can I find one?

Not interested in the Epiphone or comments about how much these beauties suck. Thank you.

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    They are hard to find because there aren't many. Gibson only produces basses on the vernal exquinox when the relative humidity is below 60% and the temperature is above 75.

I would be interested in numbers regarding how many total basses they make annually, let alone one particular model.

3. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Nikki Sixx Blackbirds haven't been made for at least 3 years - maybe more, the Gothic was a small run of no more than 400 pieces, you're not going to find new stock on a dealers shelf. Ebay and Craigslist are your new friends.

4. Blekfeht

Blekfeht

Jan 20, 2013
    Ohhh..... Thank you very much for clearing that up!

So the world is pushing me against the Epiphone as the only choice if I want a goth model NOW!
    How are they compared to the Gibson? Do they sound..."weaker"?

5. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I don't have a Goth, but I have an Epi T-Bird Pro 5 string and it feels pretty good. I feel like I would have nothing but great things to say if I didn't have having a 5th string so much. Haha. You're almost certainly going to eBay for the goth, though.

6. I had the impression that the Gothic series were limited run instruments, so buying used may be your only way to locate one.

7. Manolius

Manolius

Apr 12, 2010
    I'm gonna posting an add soon in the classifieds section for an EPI Thunderbird Goth version, pretty great condition. New strings, Matching Epiphone case + Roto flats in case you want to switch.

Just need to take some pictures and it's up.

I've never tried a Gibson goth or blackbird but I really liked the sound of my bird. The "wings" being mahogany gives the bass a lot of sustain and clear (piano like when the strings/rounds are new) sound. The epi-pro models are great basses as well, especially if you are into 5 strings.

8. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The Blackbird basses come up on ebay quite often. 4 just sold on ebay in the last 3 months.

I have a Blackbird, and it's far superior to the Epiphone models I've come across in GC. If you want a Blackbird, wait for a real one. If you buy an Epiphone model because you're impatient, you'll never be happy with it.

9. Blekfeht

Blekfeht

Jan 20, 2013
  10. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Any new Gibson is easy to get. That black Tbird is no exception.

If your cap is set on a Blackbird, send me a PM.

11. Music Scholar

Music Scholar

Dec 12, 2012
    CALIFORNIA
    I am also trying to locate one. I like both of these but I want a Gibson Thunderbird Gothic.

Attached Files:

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021