Gibson Les Paul Bass Comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the invazia, Apr 14, 2020.

1. the invazia

the invazia

May 5, 2014
    Novosibirsk
    The idea of making a Gibson Les Paul Bass comparison of appeared as soon as there was more than two. But for a full comparison, at least five needed! Not all Les Paul models, but very representative bunch of a basses. As a result, a year later — video is ready.

In this video:
    • 1992 Gibson Les Paul Bass LPB-3 Honeyburst
    • 1997 Gibson Les Paul Bass LPB-3 (active) Black
    • 2000 Gibson Les Paul Standard Bass Honeyburst
    • 2006 Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Bass (Money Bass DC ) Root Beer
    • 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard Bass Oversized Goldtop

New strings on all basses — Warwick Red Stainless Steel (45-105)
    Close as possible the same basses setup (pickups and action).

Preamp — Shift Line Olympic MkIIIS
    Drive — A+ by Shift Line Buzz V.2

My choice is 2000 Honeyburst.

PizzaFiend, KB5, Vinny_G and 8 others like this.
  2. LukeTariq

LukeTariq

Jul 29, 2019
    Thanks for the demo! I’m actually picking up a LP Bass on Tuesday so this was a great anticipatory watch! I think the 92 and the 00 sounded the best without a shadow of a doubt. Disappointed in the 97 and the 13 in particular which I thought sounded a bit lifeless.

3. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    Great Post! I love The Les Paul Bass!! Thanks!!

4. BB Brian

BB Brian

Apr 15, 2020
    West Texas
    I actually love the tone of that 97.

5. ac100X

ac100X

Apr 6, 2003
    California
    I like the 92, I forget what year mine is, I bought it on E bay, think it's a 90's, it was a lady bassplayer and her perfume stayed with for years.

IMG_2779 Les Paul.JPG

6. B-Mac

B-Mac Happiness is a warm puppy and a great bass Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Awesome video!
    Well done. Great non-flashy playing. Very enjoyable and really great comparison with so many variations. If only all comparison videos could be done this well!

Liked all of them, but my least favorite was the 1997 model. Don’t know if it was the settings or what but in comparison it seemed a bit ‘dead’?

The 1992 and 2000 really stand out. I liked the higher sounding bite of the 2013 as well as the darker growl of the double cut in the lower register.

Well done, well done indeed! :thumbsup:

Vinny_G, HaphAsSard and the invazia like this.
  7. the invazia

the invazia

May 5, 2014
    Novosibirsk
    97 is too bassy for me. Massive and muddy low end and very high output level.
    13 is great and very dynamic responsive, but oversized body uncomfortable (for me).

Unfortunately video can't transfer tactile sensations :(

HaphAsSard likes this.
  8. hamertek98

hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    Indiana
    Can I have the gold top?!?

Vinny_G and B-Mac like this.
  9. the invazia

the invazia

May 5, 2014
    Novosibirsk
  10. hamertek98

hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    Indiana
  11. Christophe C

Christophe C

Feb 15, 2019
    Belgium
    That's a good video. Thank you.
    I have bought recently the same "2006 money bass" and I am very happy. Gibson's are really underrated basses.

Vinny_G and B-Mac like this.
  12. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    That was a very detailed comparison! Good job on the video, the invazia :thumbsup:

On watching, my first thought is that the ‘92 is the only one I’d be interested in, personally. Second thought is that it’s kinda amazing how’d different they all are. Third thought is that if buying a used Les Paul bass online, given all that variance, it seems you couldn’t quite be sure what you’d be getting yourself into.

Anyway, for me, each of the basses had their moments where they weren’t bad, but the only one I consistently liked was the ‘92. Meanwhile, the 2006 root beer double cut was consistently my least favorite. Didn’t like the 2000 either, in contrast to the people above who liked both the 92 and 2000 (2000 seemed kinda too "guitary" to me, I guess).

I liked the tone of the 2013 on a few examples, but yeah, that one looks like a beast of a bass - no thanks. On the opposite end of the beastliness spectrum, the 2006 root beer DC looked the most player friendly - but I didn’t dig the tone. So, ‘92 for the win :bassist: (ymmv)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  13. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Very nice video! I thought the 2000 stood out amongst the others. Great collection of LP basses! :thumbsup:

14. KB5

KB5

Sep 28, 2012
    Love the LPB-3 Les Paul basses. I wish they would return to that body size and just add the pickup selector like the 2000 had. Add some cool flame top finish options and I guarantee they will sell like crazy. I'll take two, one burst and one black. Maybe three if they do the five string again.

I came soooooo close to talking a guy into selling an early 90's 5 string LPB-3 with a "plus" top to me about 10 years ago. He didn't play it but he just couldn't let it go. I offered him a lot more than he paid brand new too. He still has it, doesn't play it, and won't even discuss a selling price. One day....

15. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    Great job, thank you! :thumbsup:

For pick playing, the 2013 Goldtop clearly stands out for me, followed closely by the 1992 LPB-3 Honeyburst.