Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gig Bag/Soft Case Recommendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, May 26, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Newbie Hello :D
    I'm shopping for a soft case/gigbag for a Brice Douglas J5 fretless I jsut ordered...Rondo carries no cases for that axe according to Kurt...Surfing around, the Ibanez "backpack style" seems like a decent bag/deal, but I've never used a soft case, and I know you guys have.
    Brief intro on me: 44 year old mwm, TV Producer/Director by day, mercenary bass player by night. Play mostly cheap party trash/blues/jazz, but hey, money talks. I play mostly a Fender Jazz5 with lace pickups, thru an SWR Redhead. But I also have: fretted pbass, fretless pbass, telebass, thunderbird, g&l 2000 fretless, and a rickenbacker-mostly all fairly old. Also have an old bassman 50, a larger swr rack mounted amp that I run thru a couple of Peavey 18/2-10 cabinets for bigger jobs. I love the redhead, and hate carrying "refrigerator cabinets," so I mostly use the redhead.
    Thanks for shopping tips!

Alan Loshbaugh, Columbia, MO

2. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Undercover gig bags are the best I've seen.
    Try Bass Central, they have them in stock, I think.

3. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm ordering a dub case from incase soon... that's the brand I was going to mention

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Two very nice features about the Incase "bags" is that they have padded neck and body support and they completely zipper-open on three sides like the flip-top lid of a hardshell case. This way, you can lift your instrument straight up out of the bad without taking the chance of raking it across a zipper. They're really more "case" than "bag", in my opinion, but they're very nice.

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I got a warwick rock bag with my warwick and it kicks arse. Ive never been a fan of gig bags but its like velour on the inside, and it has a ton of pockets. It even has the backpack straps u were mentioning.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    call up the Fodera guys, or Dave at the www.thegrooveshoppe.com

they have a bag made from a guy who used to work at Reunion Blues. GREAT lookin' and built gig bag.

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've really beening eyeing the "goincase" bag also. I'd really like more of a soft case similar to the Roscoe cases but can't find one that will fit a Gecko that I'm buying. I emailed "goincase" and they sent me the interior bag dimensions if it's any help.

They are:

Slim Bag (bass) interior dimensions: 47" x 13.5" x 2.5"

I'm really not a hugh fan of gig-bags. If anyone knows of any other soft cases that will work with a Gecko, please let me know. Also, if you have a "goincase" bag and can provide any other info that you think will be helpful let me know.
    Thanks!

9. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Welcome Chef! :D Iwill second what Cliff Bordwell said, Undercover Gig Bag! I got one as well. It is durable and nice packing gig bag. Although it is not cheap at all, it is worth every penny!

10. level_1

level_1

Apr 18, 2004
    Central CA
    I just got a new Incase Slimbag last week and it is the best bag I have seen. It holds just about everything I need to carry with me and is a lot easier to handle than the hard case. It looks to be of very high quality. It is worth a look IMO.

11. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Jokerny,
    Thanks for the plug! We also have the Incase bags which we highly recommend. They're very well designed, well constructed bags.

12. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    +3 for incase. I have one and had to lug my bass around Chicago last week. The backpack straps and extra padding made the lug much more bearable than a regular over the shoulder bag. I love the neck support and padding. I've had a few button bashes with other gig bags but I really don't see that happening with the incase bag. Tons of storage also and the rain cover came in handy a few times.

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    About the incase dub bag, and others of it's kind: I did mention this was for a $199 Brice Douglass, right :D
    I'm not looking to spend more moeny on the bag than the axe, thus the Ibanez backpack bag...Still looking for "functional and cheap" options tho..

Man, there's a lot of activity in these forums...

14. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Well in that case, any $20 gig big will work. But with the cheap ones come quality issues...how long will that handle hold up before it breaks? And is it comfortable enough to carry across a parking lot or up 3 flights of steps? Is there padding on the bottom of the bag to absorb the shock of being put down on cement? Is the zipper going to last, or is it a cheap crappy one? Is there an extra pocket for accessories, and is it big enough for what you need to carry? Those are the things I look for in a bag. If you plan to gig heavily with this bass, consider that the bag you get will need to hold up.

I love my Summit bag. The Incase ones look nice too. Those are if you want the thing to last for a long time and offer great protection and comfort. Carvin makes a decent bag for about $35. There are a ton of bags to choose from at Musician's Friend too.

15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Don't listen to her - she's a bassist imposter!

...a satanic turkey told me so. ;)

(Love the clips thusfar, Lizzy. I now live my life by the theory of fizznat. :D)

16. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    WELL! :ninja: That's my alter ego...the Satanic Turkey. I really am a bassist at heart....people just keep asking me to play guitar. Glad you're enjoying that stuff! :D

17. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Another vote for Rockbag by Warwick.

Actually, if you do a search, there's a really long thread with lots of good suggestions regarding Gig bags.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ditto. I have their double bag (bought from Gard), and it's mondo-durable. Warning: Gard is Satan's tool, and will cause your wealth to decline significantly. Watch your wallet. Oh, he'll give you great deals, alright ... and great deals, and great deals ...

19. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The Carvin is more in my price range for this bass. Lizzy, I appreciate all the quality issues, but as I said earlier, I just can't send $150 on a bag for a $199 Brice J5...I won't carry any of my other axes in a soft case at all:) Musicians Friend:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...8588917/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/545172/
    That seems about like what I need.
    The Brice should be here wednesday, I'll post up more 'boutdat then...
    Alos, once I can post photo's, I'll tack up some pix of my little worker b's...

20. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO