Gig report: PF350 and Eden EX112

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by beatnut, Apr 23, 2017.

1. beatnut

beatnut

Sep 27, 2016
    Western Mass
    I used to search for info on how well gear worked for live use with only moderate luck, so I'd like to contribute by reporting on how things work for me.

VENUE: Small club, roughly 100(?) capacity.

GEAR: Ampeg PF-350, 8-ohm Eden EX112, MIM P with La Bella Black Nylon tapewounds.

GENRE: Americana, bluegrass, singer-songwriter. Line-up was guitar, bass, drums and electric cello. The guitar went through a Mesa combo, the cello through FOH.

When I walked in, the sound guy told me an amp without FOH support would be enough, and my 1x12 would be sufficient. We had a short soundcheck and I thought I was too boomy, so knocked down the bass a little. There was a lot of RF buzz from my guitar so I rolled the treble nearly fully off. Controls ended up at bass 10 o'clock, mid 2 o'clock, treble 9 o'clock. The sound guy also handed me an Ebtech hum eliminator which I used and seemed to work. The buzz came and went, though, so it could have been anything.

I could hear myself clearly during the gig on the lower notes, but had a little trouble hearing notes around the octave G. Don't know whether this was my amp settings or instrument setup, have to look into that further. I feel confident that the room could hear me because the rig was at my ankles, backed up against the wall.

That's all I can think of for the moment. Any questions, comments, advice welcome!

DirtDog and shoot-r like this.
  2. Been thinking about one of these Eden EX112 cabs, any updates on using this?

3. beatnut

beatnut

Sep 27, 2016
    Western Mass
    I've upgraded to a pair of GK CX210s since then (bought from the wonderful Jason at BSO). I still use the Eden for guitar together with a Quilter Micro Block. Works well for my purpose, which is cleanish Strat sounds. I would still use the Eden for bass for smaller gigs, simply because it's so portable and has adequate volume for bluegrass, folk etc.

Skerrvydog likes this.
  4. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I wouldn’t expect to hear much miss from a small cabinet at ankle height unless it’s tilted towards your ear. That and scooped out miss means you’d have a full low end sound to your ear without much midrange definition that’ll get lost as you go higher.

5. beatnut

beatnut

Sep 27, 2016
    Western Mass
    I wouldn't have thought the mids were scooped at 2 o'clock. On the other hand, I recall there was a post (which I can't find now) that may have said that Ampegs are designed with a mid-scoop and showed how to get a flat response. Do you know the post I mean, and if so, could you post a link?

6. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    HAhaha my mistake. I read 2 o’clock and thought 2. Then again maybe it’s a fender style tone stack that has a baked in scoop. I used to dime the mids on my Hartke LH500 just to get any....