1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gigging a Bronco bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PastorofMuppets, May 4, 2010.

1. Has anyone gigged a bronco bass?
    Does anyone do it full time.

Just curious if anyone gigs with such a entry level bass??

2. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I used my Bronco bass at a couple of bar gigs. The crowd looked at me and laughed. They mocked my entry level short scale bass and I felt like an outcast. The regulars said they definitely could tell the difference in tone between a short scale and a long scale bass. Don't do it.

OK, OK, OK. I'm kidding. :) I have a modded out Bronco that I actually have gigged out. Worked just fine. Actually, I liked it a little better than some of my other basses because for three sets, it's a much lighter bass. I do have upgraded tuners on it, however. I remember the stock tuners didn't hold up to well from set to set, but the new ones do just fine. For regular old gigs with regular people, it'll do just fine.

3. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    I am here to tell you,any bass can be used on a gig I hear all kinds of so called pro's complain about cheap bass's but that just is a cover up for a lack of ability.I can use a bronco on a gig and it would smoke.That said it is better to have a good instrument but I stood in once for a band the bass player was drunk(this was a long time ago) the bass was a real junk but the band told me after they did'nt think that bass had it in it its all in the fingers its nice to have a nice amp and bass.I love beautiful instruments but the night is better if after you learn to play an amp must be good.Its better to have a moderate bass and great amp than great bass and junk amp.Now Im confused.Get the bronco and give it hell bro

4. Oh I wouldnt be afraid. I was just wondering if any one had a story.
    I am by no means a entry level player. I have awesome gear.
    I think it would be awesome to watch a great player tear up a bronco.

i plan on gigging my brand new squire club vibe 51 P bass in LP blue.

I love that bass and I think it sounds as good as the sting bass i played a while back.

5. Its actually styled after a 54 , hence the contours which 51's lacked. Great bass i gig'ed one for 6 months, i actually played that bass so much i wore the poly off on a spot on the side of the neck.

I would gig a bronco , i would probably want a good set up, other then that i would be fine even with stock strings.

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I gigged with my Bronco last Saturday and it's bone stock. I really like the sound with the band. Sits like a P bass in the mix. We don't play thunderously loud though so I don't know how it would do in one of those contexts.

7. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I would if i had one. My buddy does it doesnt sound bad at all. I broke a d string at a show and he just tossed me his bronco bass. It sounded pretty good it doesnt have the mids that my p bass does but a small tweak on my eq and it was great.

8. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    The only thing I have against shortscales is it feels like I'm playing a guitar. Tonally there's nothing wrong with them, and personally I don't give a darn what you spent on your bass, if you like it then it's good enough. Plenty of guys gig on $100 Essexes, plenty of guys gig on $6000 coffee tables, and plenty of guys bring and play both.

9. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    And no matter which bass you play on the gig you still get paid the same.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I wouldn't hesitate to gig my Bronco, but with numerous basses and gigging not too often, it's pretty hard to avoid taking my all-time faves to the gigs. I'm playing tomorrow night with a gold-top Casady as my first bass and a Gretsch 2202 Jr. Jet short scale as backup.

Once I get the factory rounds off the Bronco and Labella flats installed, I suspect it will move up the list.

11. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    I might have to pick one up now, the Mustang/Bronco basses have always intrigued me

12. bassmanbiff

bassmanbiff

Apr 3, 2008
    My crappy old Bullet Bass probably fits in the same category, but despite having much "nicer" instruments I have no problem playing it where the tone works.

Plays great, has a sound that fits right in, its own way.

13. Billy3000

Billy3000

Dec 18, 2008
    I wouldn't gig a bone stock bronco bass, I'd at the very least upgrade the tuners, and in a perfect world the pickup too, just cause it doesn't quite sound beefy enough for my tastes. But then again it also depends on what style of music I was playing. My current band is kinda heavy, and I really need my bass to have a well rounded tone that cuts through very well, and I just don't think a bronco would cut it in my band.

14. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999

Jun 7, 2007
    I have a Bronco and would like to upgrade the tuners .. or at least add a Hipshot to the E string. What tuners are you guys using? Are they direct replacements or do you have to change the peg hole or drill new mounting screws?

15. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    I gigged with an Epiphone EB-0; hell I even used it in a competition we ended up doing very well in! I stopped using it when the tone pot died.

16. Rox

Rox

Apr 25, 2010
    I don't gig but I can vouch that the Broncos are good . Modded . Frankly they sound like sh!t out the box . However doesn't cost much to mod them up and make them bad ass.
    Pots , a Basslines and Tuners if desired ( I thought they were good ) . I always pictured a heavy bass bridge on one would improve it tons . Maybe one off of a Classic Vibe P Bass if you can aquire one .
    I am looking for a Squier Musicmaster Vista myself . Like a Bronco but a string through body.

17. If you're getting the sound you want. I too say go for it. My main gigging bass is a Birdsong, My current backup is an Electromatic Jr. Jet. Our drummer gets disappointed if I don't play the "Gretschomatic" for at least part of the show.

I have the Gretsch strung Steve Harris Rotosounds. Balls for days and they cut through the mix.

I have a Badtz Maru Bronco that I will gig out once I switch out the single coil p/up for a humbucker. Maybe a DiMarzio Track 2?

18. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    I would love to see the reaction of people when you rock the Badtz Maru bass!! :cool:

19. LOL!! That would be awesome.

20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have both basses - Bronco (with a Hot Rails pickup) and Gretsch 2202 Jr. Jet. While I like the Bronco, in all honesty the Gretsch has twice the sound of the Bronco. The pickup on that Gretsch is AMAZING. it's one of the best basses I own. I wouldn't avoid the Bronco at a gig, but the Gretsch is a better bass from a sound standpoint.