1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gigging with my SX bass, not modded either

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DFW_Bass, Mar 30, 2009.

1. DFW_Bass

DFW_Bass

Jul 8, 2008
    Dallas
    I've been a Fender player for years, and I still am, HA, but my new baby is the SX Jazz bass (5 string) i bought for $129.99..

So this past month, I had 3 shows and here are some of what the musicians said:

musician 1: Man, you really played that bass, what the hell is it, i thought it was a sadowsky by the looks of it. But it sounds really great and has a strong growl sound to it..

Musician 2: Where can i get one of those basses

Last show musician 3, 4, +: That bass doesn't look cheap, it looks like a $1000 bass.

So here's the deal: if you have good wood, average electronics and excellent strings, during live situations, you can hang with just about any bass, until you get to the ken smiths or fodera price range.

One thing i notice is that the majority of audience doesn't care what sound or bass it is, only critique'd musicians are looking at that. One of a well known bassist in Dallas TX, asked to play my bass and he loved it and couldn't believe the price. My sx is unmodded and i just put DR Low riders on it and the B string is tight. see pics from my last show below

FH000002.

FH000020.

2. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Heresy!!! Pics are obviously photoshopped!

:spit:

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Honestly, I think that headstock bigotry is fading quick. There's more and more top quality fender knock-offs out there and non bass players simply don't keep up with them, so when someone see's something that looks like a fender that sounds 'good enough' they assume it's 'good enough'.

Of course... there's always going to be the contingency of MIA Fender owners who simply dismiss anything that they don't own.

IMHO.

4. DFW_Bass

DFW_Bass

Jul 8, 2008
    Dallas
    No sir, pics are not photoshop. They were taken with a 35mm Film camera from a pawn shop, film still rules.

5. DFW_Bass

DFW_Bass

Jul 8, 2008
    Dallas
    This headstock was weird looking because it's not the same size as the fender, it's actually really small headstock but looks more like a lakland headstock.

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Havent heard anyone say that in... years.

But I might look into an SX. Im going to have 100 bones laying around after my next bass purchase, I think I might snag a 5 string or a Pbass.

Well see! ;)

7. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    I've played a couple gigs with mine, nobody ever thinks it's a $100 bass. I still play my musicman most of the time, but if it's a questionable sounding venue that i've never played at, I always take the SX :)

8. Im looking at SX SJB-62QMD with the maple top or the vintage look
    looks killer at that price, how are the stock pups ???

9. DFW_Bass

DFW_Bass

Jul 8, 2008
    Dallas
    Stock picks are decent, if you're used to hearing Fender basses then the tone of this bass you might think it's cheap, but it's not, it's different. I'm keeping mine in because it's more growly then fender basses.. But honestly the sound is really depending on the strings as well.

The first set i had the D'Addario pro steels, they were crisp in the high end and sweet mids rolled off a little, not boomy thought, They died out really quick and then i put the DR Lowriders on my last show.. They were the perfect tone, still growly but more punchier then the Addarios:

But to answer your question more specifically: the pickups are great, and since everyone is complimenting the sound, there's no need for me to change them. I like them and the audience and other musicians like them too.

Sometime by weds, i will post mp3's of the entire show or maybe a couple of songs i played with my sx.

10. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Hey I have that same bass ,they sure are cool looking, the sunburst with the maple board looks great. The only things I've done to mine are straplocks,drilling out the B and E string holes in the bridge to fit my DR Fatbeams, and taking some of the gloss off the back of the neck to get a satin finish. I haven't gigged mine yet but I've been using it at practice with my band and have taken it to a few jams and love the way it sounds in a band mix. I think DR strings can make about any bass sound better but these SX basses sound good to start with.

To tell the truth this is my fifth SX five string. I have gigged the ones I had before quite a bit in little bars and some very big gigs too. I've got about the same reactions when talking to bass players I know or who are on the same bill at shows. After hearing that it's made in China and only costs $129 I have taken some good natured ribbing from a couple but none of them have ever said anything bad about how they sound. I've also asked sound guys how the bass sounds and they also think it sounds good. I liked the sunburst SX so much I just got a black one with the same maple board last week to go with it.I've got to get a couple pictures of mine to put on here.

11. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I gigged my p a few times too. I prefer the neck profile to my Lakland (I shoudl've gone with a G&L...). Soundwise, it doesn't have to envy anythign to its cousin. The major difference are feel, fit and finish.

The pickguard is roughly cut, the woodmatching is good but I just hate the sunburst/white pg combo. I went with it because it was cheap and when I'm playing it, I don't see the pg ;) The fretwork on mine is also very good, without any high frets. I was pleasantely surprised when I saw that and now I'm worried about ordering a new one, fearing the next bass won't be as good as this one.