GK 115 RBH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bluesbarrister, Feb 15, 2004.

1. I've had a GK 800 RB for a 5 or six years - Just picked up a 115 RBH for a bit less than 1/2 price. I thought I had done my research - GK's website specs say the RBH series cabs have cast frame speakers, BUT when I opened up the cabinet to clean it out and check the wiring, it's a stamped frame...

What's up with that?? Anyone know? I haven't asked GK yet - just found out today. The serial number shows it was made in July of 2000 - did GK perhaps use stamped frames then?

I have to say that it sounds great, but I'm prejudiced in favour of cast frame 15's - I've used D140 JBL's or 421-8H Altecs for 32 years -still have the Altecs - and I can't understand why a top line company would put stamped frame speakers in their top line cabinet. Maybe the speaker blew and the rental shop replaced it with a lower end speaker, but it doesn't look like the cab has been opened up before.
  2. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a GK combo with a cast frame speaker, and it's a cast frame speaker. I think your assumption that the rental shop replaced it is the most plausable.
  3. It should be a cast frame speaker.
  4. Thanks guys. So, I went back to the store and said "what gives?", the reply to which was - "Don't complain - you've got a better speaker than the GK"

I don't think so - since when is a 6 ohm 350 watt stamped frame speaker better than an 8 ohm cast frame speaker, which I'm assuming was designed by Bob Gallien specifically for the 115 RBH cabinet.

AND - they told me that GK Paragons are made by Pyle. I've read in various forums that they were made by Eminence.

Can anyone clarify the fuzzification?
  5. The Paragon speaker is 8 ohm, 400 watts cast frame. It's manufactured for us by Eminence and was designed specifically to work with that cabinet. It happens to be my favorite speaker cabinet too.
  6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    What's the difference between Cast-frame and Stamped-Frame?
  7. A cast frame speaker is, literally, cast from molten iron (actually aluminum these days) and tempered in the fires of Mordor. They're like a Sherman tank - very little chance of warping or bending. JBL's, Altecs, EV's - the good ones all have cast frames.

A stamped frame is, again, literally stamped out by a huge hydraulic press, from a thin sheet of metal. Poke your finger in a piece of tinfoil to make a shape. You get the idea.

Of course, as you can see, I'm not biased in favour of cast frame speakers.

Guitar, it seems, is another matter. My guitar player hates cast frame speakers - too clean.

Daniel: Is there any chance of ordering a speaker directly from the factory? The store here is telling me that the wait for speakers from the Canadian GK distributor is so long that they don't bother. Are the specs for the Paragon 15 available, or is that an industrial secret?
  8. As long as you're willing to pay the shipping and any related export fees, no problem at all. You can order the speaker directly from us. However, check with the Canadian distributor first.

What kind of specs do you want to know?
  9. Thanks Daniel. The shipping should be the only cost. Since the speaker is US made, there is no tariff under NAFTA. What is your price for the speaker, FOB the factory?

The specs I'm looking for are the full technicals - including the Thiele Small parameters. If it's too difficult or costly to get a GK Paragon, I'll try and get as close a match as I can with one of Eminence's off-the-shelf models. They have a Canadian distributor.

To see what I'm getting at, check out their Delta Pro 15 at this link:

GK's Canadian distributor is Yorkville (Traynor), and I expect they may be more interested in flogging their own product than yours.

Thanks Daniel
  10. Gizz

May 21, 2011
    Hi Dan...Just picked up a used GK RBH 115..Using it with a 1001RB2...Would you use it as a stand alone cab...? That is what I would like to do however I can throw a 2x10 on top,,