1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 150 MBE bag options?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mburd, Oct 4, 2010.

1. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    What are you folks using?
    I'm interested in hearing your "creative" solutions.
    Thinking about a Mooradian, unless there are more cost-effective alternatives that work as well.

2. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Check out small suitcases with wheels
    Mine is the cabinet version so it was a little easier to fit
    I think my bag was $20

Thanks

Robert VanLane

114488715.gif

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It's not a bag, but I got a "pack n roll" rolling cart at an office supply store for under 20 bucks. It's enough space for the GK, cords, folding music stand, etc.

4. tgrant

tgrant

Nov 7, 2005
    Middletown, VA
    I was cleaning out my storage room at work and found a bag that came with a dinosaur of a multimedia projector. The projector has deceased but the bag is in great shape. It is padded with heavy duty handles and a shoulder strap. It doesn't have any pockets but, it has a little extra room for my cables, tuner, light and, music. The best part is it was free! :hyper:

5. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    check out studio slips, they are a company that makes cases for all types of amps, I have one for my GK, it is great

6. I picked up my second hand 150E yesterday from an ebay seller. I was lucky enough to have it come with a custom gig bag. Its just a padded zip up clamshell type case. So glad to have it. They've got a bit of weight for their size so its good to have something to protect it while walking through doorways etc.

7. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    I just retired my tattered old 200MB which was housed in a projector bag! Unfortunately, while it fit the oldie perfectly it's too small for the 150.

Thanks for the creative replies.

8. BCAlbin

BCAlbin

Dec 7, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    April '09 ordered the bag at local Sam Ash for $59.99 ($20 cheaper than GK direct's $79.99),
    about a month later (mid May) checked with Sam Ash about order, was told GK had back-ordered the bag indefinitely,
    waited another month (June), called GK about progress, was informed bag was being "redesigned and improved", still on back-order but "available soon",
    waited another month (July), contacted GK about progress, told there had been a delay because of "executive R&D approval of new strap design" but "available soon",
    waited a couple more months (early September), contacted GK, told "design approved, bags in production, shipping by end of the September",
    (mid October) "bags should be shipping soon"...,
    (mid November) call from Sam Ash, "your bag is in!",
    (BTW, guys at Sam Ash said they'd never seen something back-ordered so long, apparently neither had the Sam Ash computer because it had kicked my order out of the system, when the bag showed up in the loading dock, they had no idea what the carton was and had to check hard-copy receipts from April to figure out who had ordered it!)
    Picked up the bag, got home, opened up the carton, took out the bag and...

it looked identical to my friend's years-old MB-150 bag! Padded black cordura, top-loading with zippered flap, zippered pocket in front. The "redesigned and improved" strap, whose approval had held up production by at least a month, was an ABSOLUTELY ordinary, run-of-the-mill, pick-one-up-at-Walmart strap. Even if the bag itself was nothing special, I was, at least, expecting some high-tech, "ergonomically engineered" strap (think: Soundwear DB gig bag)... Nope, black nylon web, vinyl-covered shoulder pad, swivel clips at the end.

So what did I do? I called up the nice lady at GK with whom I'd now been speaking with for nearly 7 months and RAVED about the amazing, newly designed gig bag and especially the genius of the new "suspension system"! (strap) Now that the bag had finally arrived, I could obviously see why "design and construction of such a revolutionary gig bag would take such a length of time!" I know she detected the sarcasm in my voice but, bless her heart, she politely thanked me for the positive feedback about their product.

Take your amp to your local American Tourister factory outlet store, fit it in a nice, rolling bag, spend about 30 bucks on the bag and you'll have a better bag (and a better "suspension system") and you'll be able to take it to the gig THAT NIGHT!!!!

-BCA

9. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    there clearly is much collective wisdom to consider here.

Tho I am not near an AT outlet, I could probably clip a lobster trap from a neighbor and bolt on a couple lawnmower wheels and have me summpin..
    nah..I'll find me an AT outlet..
    ;)

10. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I'll put in another plug for Studio Slips. I had one made for my Ampeg 12" speaker and now the cats aren't clawing the **** out of its speaker fur...

11. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    The strap on my GK bag did break. It was suggested to me, by a friend, that I take it to a saddle shop and that would most likely hold up better. I haven't done that yet but intend to sometime in the future.

Wally

12. I have the GK bag and I've been happy with it.

I also ordered mine during the summer of '09 and waited for so many months I had practically forgotten about it when it finally shipped.

13. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    Can anyone offer up a
    $160 Mooradian vs $69 Tuki comparison beyond what I've read from their websites..?
    So far I see:
    Tuki: 1/2" padding, no pocket (+ $20)
    Mooradian: 3/4" padding
    Both USA, "made to order"

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021