GK 150E vs GK 150S

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by andrew_laking, Jan 26, 2005.

1. andrew_laking

Aug 20, 2003
    I notice that the GK150E 112 amp is a little bit more expensive than the GK 150S... is it worth paying the extra $100 and buying the 150E?
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have the MB150E, and it does not seem to be worth the extra money. It has a lot more controls, but what do they do? A lot of them seem superfluous, like the stereo chorus. Also, the parametric mid is a pretty blunt tool for controlling feedback, since the bandwidth can't be adjusted.

If I was getting another one of these, I'd save my $100, and have a very nice amp with simpler controls and less stuff to go wrong.
  3. allthumbs

Dec 30, 2004
    South Devon, UK
    No! I should keep the change and either put it towards the extension cab or find a convivial bar and invite the rest of the band to have a drink on you whilst they marvel that such a small amp can rattle the floorboards more efficiently than the guitarist's 8x10 Marshall stack. ;)
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As fdeck said - it's basically a question of - do you want/need a built-in stereo chorus effect?

I think for 99.9% of DB players, the answer is going to be a big NO!!
  5. andrew_laking

Aug 20, 2003
    Thanks for the info everyone, it looks like the 150S is the safer bet! Andy
  6. I bought the E about 6 months ago and have been generally happy with it. I play slab, acoustic electric, and the DB. The extra knobs and chorus come in handy....once in a great while....on the first two, but practically never on the DB.

Now, on that never-ending journey, I've ordered an Ampeg PortaBass 112H ext. cab, hoping to get a richer, deeper sound with all 3, and to have something to put the E on instead of the milk crate I use now. The milk crate cost a helluva lot less tho.