Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 150E vs GK 150S

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by andrew_laking, Jan 26, 2005.

1. andrew_laking

andrew_laking

Aug 20, 2003
    Ireland
    I notice that the GK150E 112 amp is a little bit more expensive than the GK 150S... is it worth paying the extra $100 and buying the 150E?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have the MB150E, and it does not seem to be worth the extra money. It has a lot more controls, but what do they do? A lot of them seem superfluous, like the stereo chorus. Also, the parametric mid is a pretty blunt tool for controlling feedback, since the bandwidth can't be adjusted.

If I was getting another one of these, I'd save my $100, and have a very nice amp with simpler controls and less stuff to go wrong.

3. allthumbs

allthumbs

Dec 30, 2004
    South Devon, UK
    No! I should keep the change and either put it towards the extension cab or find a convivial bar and invite the rest of the band to have a drink on you whilst they marvel that such a small amp can rattle the floorboards more efficiently than the guitarist's 8x10 Marshall stack. ;)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As fdeck said - it's basically a question of - do you want/need a built-in stereo chorus effect?

I think for 99.9% of DB players, the answer is going to be a big NO!!

5. andrew_laking

andrew_laking

Aug 20, 2003
    Ireland
    Thanks for the info everyone, it looks like the 150S is the safer bet! Andy

6. I bought the E about 6 months ago and have been generally happy with it. I play slab, acoustic electric, and the DB. The extra knobs and chorus come in handy....once in a great while....on the first two, but practically never on the DB.

Now, on that never-ending journey, I've ordered an Ampeg PortaBass 112H ext. cab, hoping to get a richer, deeper sound with all 3, and to have something to put the E on instead of the milk crate I use now. The milk crate cost a helluva lot less tho.