Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 200MB

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I just recently aquired a Gk 200mb, and I'm thinking about possibly swapping out the stock speaker with a 4ohm speaker, so it could run at it's full potential power wise. Any thoughts on this being a good idea/bad idea?

Thanks
    Kevinlee

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The only potential fault in swapping speakers is if you are not able to score a replacement with the same or similar characteristics. The performance of drivers is strongly affected by the cabinet, and unless you get a driver suited to the small cabinet.

3. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Yea I thought about this, but I've already got a 4ohm 12 on it's way that I going to use in another cab. I guess the best thing to do is just stick it in there and see how it sounds. I can always put the gk 12 back.

Thanks
    Kevinlee

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    As Bob suggests, the chance that a random speaker is going to work in the 200MB is essentially nil. This is a highly overdamped system that requires a speaker with unusual characteristics. I would be willing to bet that your replacement will produce much less bass. And given past experience with the 200MB, I will assure you that your amp will buzz and resonate something awful once you reassemble it ;-)

The speaker in there is already optimum for the cabinet; you're not going to get any more sound out of it. Changing the load on the amp to 4 ohms will only increase the power output by 3dB; even if you found a speaker that worked as well as the original, you'd only be increasing the output marginally.

5. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Hmmm, sounds like an exercise in futility. I think I will just leave it be. Thanks for the advice. One more question. If I were to use this as a stage monitor for the opposite side of the stage, running an iamp 600 w/1x12 as my main amp, could I run the di out of the iamp into the effects return of the gk to give me a powered monitor that I can control level wise with the di gain?

6. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I would add another cabinet.
    I did.....even used it with a 2x15 cab.
    Usually with a a 4x10 or a 1x15.

Records nicely with the direct out.

I sold that amp and I regret it to this day.

7. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    The reason I'm thinking about using it with the iamp is, I'm really happy with the iamp tone overall, so I thought by bypassing the preamp section of the GK I could just use the power section for that speaker. The main reason I got the GK was for smaller gigs where I probably wouldn't need two cabs. But I just was thinking of other way's to incorporate it into the mix to sort of justify it's purchase.

Kevinlee

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I put an Eminence (carvin) speaker in my
    200mb. Yes it was a bitch getting it back
    together with no buzzing, but I think it
    sounds better with the new speaker. I do
    have to turn up the bass a bit more, but
    the speaker has so much more range now.
    Stock speaker 80-2k, eminence 50-5k. Same