1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 212MBE/4 4ohms burnt out in 30 Sec.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by YMTJ, Mar 16, 2013.

1. YMTJ

YMTJ

Mar 16, 2013
    I just got 9 months old, hardly being used, mint condition GK 212MBE and GK 1001RB II. Before I buy, I tried it with more than bedroom volume levels to make sure everything works fine. It did sound great.

I took to my band practice all excited, but within 30 seconds of playing (I'm not lying, didn't even finish the intro of song.) with rock band practice level of volume, however, it wasn't even turned half way up, cabinet started smelling burnt rubber. One of the speakers was burnt out. Very embarrassing.

I called the GK customer service next day, and he kept telling me "I overpowered the cabinet" as if I cranked the amp all the way up to kill it. But like I mentioned before, it wasn't even turned half way up, and didn't even lasted a minute. He was only defensive about his product, and responsibility was all on end-users.

I think that was a defective speaker to begin with, and attitude of GK's customer rep really made me mad. I even started assuming that they are hiding some known issues about their speakers that they don't want to disclose (or recall) to the public. Only one thing I'm for sure is I'll NEVER ever buy any products from GK ever again!!!! Horrible product and horrible after-care. Definitely WORTHLESS!!!

Did anyone have the similar experience with GK's cabinet?

2. Which happened first?? If some one came in my shop assuming (insert conspiracy theory here) Id tell em get off my lawn too.

Sorry about your cab though

3. A cab rated @ 600w does not mean it can take 600 watts. That is the THERMAL rating at which the voice coil will melt (usually when fed a 1Khz signal). Depending on how much low end EQ you use, the real world mechanical limits are about 1/2 the thermal limit.

Also, "knob position" mean nothing. Most amps are already putting their full output at around 1/2 volume knob based upon how you EQ.

Could very well have overpowered the cab.

4. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Did the speaker actually blow? When I got my 210mbe's when I broke the cabinet in it kind of smelled like burnt rubber. But it still works great 2 years later. And I've cranked them.

5. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Okay... You put a 750 watt head on top of a 600W cab, and expected not to have anything go wrong?

6. YMTJ

YMTJ

Mar 16, 2013
    Yes, one of the speakers are completely burnt out. No sound at all.

7. YMTJ

YMTJ

Mar 16, 2013
    I guess that's vice versa. Lower watts head with higher watts cabinet is more likely to cause problem.

8. If you are trying to say "underpowering" it is a myth. :rollno:

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The output of the head and the power rating of the cab are a zero issue here. Probably just a bad driver. It happens unfortunately. You would have heard serious 'farting' LONG before you would run into thermal issues with that head's output and that cab.

10. YMTJ

YMTJ

Mar 16, 2013
    He was defensive from the get go as he was telling me to get one more cabinet to get louder. I thought this cab was good enough for shows at small clubs, like they advertise about how "powerful" and "loud" it can get.

11. Yes way off base.

The 1001RB II can produce well over 700 watts on attack into a 4 ohm cab. Your cab was only rated for 600 watts thermal. Yes knob position can mean very little.
    Why did you think a 4 ohm cab was safe? I have the NEO212 which uses the same 12" speakers but is 8 ohm. with the Fusion 550 I have not had any trouble at all.

Try being courteous and contact jason@gallien.com. Most all people get above industry standard service from G-K.

12. IF the cabinet was truly overpowered then why did only one speaker blow and not both ? They both received the same amount of power didn't they ?

In other words, I think the GK person is all wet.

13. I have played outside at a street fair with the 212 and Fusion 550 with no trouble at all.

14. I have seen Eden 410 cabs blow one or two drivers pretty regular. Why did the other continue to work okay?
    It is possible one speaker was defective, attitude when taking to a manufacturer is everything when you do have a problem is the big point here. IMHO

15. So every multi speaker blown cab you have ever seen or heard about blew out all of the speakers :confused:

16. YMTJ

YMTJ

Mar 16, 2013
    Back of the 1001RB II says;
    Speaker Loads/ 700W Amp (Woofer/Master)
    One or Two 8 Ohm Cabinets
    or One 4 Ohm Cabinet

8ohm or 4 ohm, which one is more durable or resists more against power load from the amp???

I wish I didn't have any problems like you.

17. From the owner's manual:

"Output Power:
    1001RB-II:
    700W Amplifier 460W @ 8 Ohms
    700W @ 4 Ohms"

With one 8 ohm 212MBE you would have had less than 600 watts available to you.
    Two 212MBE's at 8 ohms equal a 4 ohm load and the amp, it is capable of more than 700 watts at 4 ohms load. :)

18. An 8ohm version of the same cab will 'resist' damage somewhat better in a sense, because it has a higher resistance and thus less current can flow from the amp, all other things being equal.
    Doesn't really matter though, because as Ken said, you really should have heard the death cries from the speaker long before it actually blew. So exactly what happened here is a bit of a mystery, although that amp is more than capable of damaging your cab.
    And yes, it's entirely possible to blow one speaker and not the other. For example I once blew a speaker in a 4x10 cab. Just one of the 10's. The others were fine.

19. I am a tech oriented person. So I have the advantage there? ;)
    I also know that when talking to a company like G-K that they are (believe it or not) a relatively small company, not a large corporation. They take the quality and value of their products very personally. :)

20. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Typically it seems that one may be a little weaker doing the canary in a coal mine thing.

Half way up can get real loud. How many boxes did you have in front of this 700 watt amp? Was there any distortion which would indicate a more complex wave form?

I've always been impressed favorably with GK gear.